Do your neighbors complain?

HeavyDrums

I'm lucky to live in a house on a corner lot, so my neighbors aren't right next to me. Still, I worry about disturbing them once I put normal heads on (currently using silent stroke heads). Do your neighbors complain about volume?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Haha, my neighbors are, umm, words that would get me kicked off the forum. They are also scared of us. So no, they don't complain. And regardless, I could care less if they did. I live in the woods out of city limits so I can make as much noise as I want and no one can do anything about it. I do, however, keep early hours and don't drum at an unreasonable time ever.

When I lived in town, all the neighbors were cool with it. No complaints what so ever.

Stroker

Platinum Member
No complaints.

Huge lot, well-insulated home (spray-foam), and honestly, whatever sound escapes, shame on anyone willing to make waves over something so trivial.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm lucky to live in a house on a corner lot, so my neighbors aren't right next to me. Still, I worry about disturbing them once I put normal heads on (currently using silent stroke heads). Do your neighbors complain about volume?
The few that have said anything were all complimentary

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
They don't have to complain to affect me.

If I think anyone can hear me practice, it affects my practice. I don't like it. I made it a mandatory thing that I need a house where I can play without worrying about disturbing anyone.

I don't have that issue now, but I used to many moons ago.

HeavyDrums

They don't have to complain to affect me.

If I think anyone can hear me practice, it affects my practice. I don't like it. I made it a mandatory thing that I need a house where I can play without worrying about disturbing anyone.
Me too! If I think someone can hear me practice it throws me off. I'm still new.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Nobody complains where I am.
The houses are very close together and the apartments across the street have porches that people sit on.

Everyone is respectful.
There is a music studio and dance studio a few doors away. The music studio has very loud sessions and parties. Still, nobody complains.
One next door neighbor was a concert cellist. Their daughter practices daily too.
The neighborhood appreciates music.
The whole town appreciates music.

I practice with my band, but we use headphone mixes. Only the drums are heard.

And yet, I still soundproofed my basement as much as possible.
I simply don’t want the neighbors to hear me swearing.
I swear a lot when I need to learn.

30 years ago, people complained, but not anymore. I always left the back door unlocked so the police could come down the stairs to let us know to shut up.

Last edited:

AzHeat

Platinum Member
My drums are pretty audible outside. I have people all around me, but won’t play before 11 or after 7. I’ve heard my neighbors rocking out too, but all except one, who parties well into the night pretty much follows the same rules I do.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
We just moved into a nice gated community and the neighbors all know each other. So once we met one set, we met them all and got to know each other. They like having me on the street and love hearing when I play. I guess it’s good for my ego. Some have asked when I’m gonna have a band over!

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Drums are astonishingly loud. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. Even played gently, they're loud.

I live in a detached house but despite this I purchased electric drums for practice/recording etc. purely out of respect for my neighbours. I wouldn't want to hear drums thudding away when I was trying to relax after a days work.

I did have a complaint once, when testing out my new drums. Neighbour three doors up came round. She's a nurse and works nights. She wasn't impressed. I was absolutely horrified. Never happened again.

Smoke

Silver Member
I'm a basement dweller and live on a 1 acre corner lot, so we're not cramped for space. My next-door neighbor is re-starting his band and has been recording lately - I've NEVER even heard him, though the extra vehicles in the driveway are a give-away. He also runs a recording studio and a small recording label. Since his old band was nationally recognized, I was a bit sheepish to mention I'm a basement drummer (he's a multi-instrumentalist). A couple of weeks ago I asked offhand if he'd ever heard me drumming. Nope, he was actually surprised and wanted me to come over to sit in on a recording session. Lucky me!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Just ask first.

I also find an acceptable time of day and turn my stereo on full wack, so I can walk around myself and get a general idea of bad it might be.

Also, if it can be heard a not, like others here have said, not everyone's a hater. Many people enjoy their neghbourhood having a bit of life. Maybe they can use the sound of your noodling to convince their own chlldren to pick up a healthy hobby.

TMe

I stick to brushes or the practice pad as much as possible to work things out, and only play the kit with sticks once I have something reasonably musical to play.

When my granddad was a youngster in the UK, a neighbouring farmer would come out almost every night and play his bagpipes. My granddad was a big fan of pipe bands, so he loved it. Then the piper started teaching his kid to play pipes. Yikes. Not the same thing at all. So I try to keep that story in mind when playing drums. Stick to the chanter, so to speak, until you actually know the song.

(A practice chanter is the bagpipe equivalent of a practice pad.)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Nope.

I play in my basement on 4 acres of land. They don't even know I play.

However, they know that my kids yell at each other all the time. :)

Ronzo

Never had neighbours complain but we live in the country and everyone is pretty laid back.
We all respect one another to keep noise down in the early or late hours.
If we are gonna be loud late we usually give neighbours a heads up and an invite.

alparrott

Platinum Member
My house is in a little subdivision on a corner and it was built before either of my neighbors' houses. I introduced myself to both of them right off the bat, gave them my phone number in case they ever wanted me to stop playing for any reason, and neither has ever complained. There have been a few snide comments at the HOA meetings from other neighbors, but I'm super respectful of appropriate times to play (11 AM - 6 PM) and checked both local ordinances and the HOA's covenants to make sure I was in the clear. And then, I just was elected to the HOA board.

My drums stay mostly packed and ready to go in the summer as it is, so there's only a few months of the year when I do play in the garage - and it's so cold, everyone is shut up inside their own house anyways.

dwsabianguy

I feel the same way. It's like the watched pot. However, my roommates can hear me, and we're all okay with the setup.

We live on a couple acres out in the woods, with the only houses being several hundred feet away, across the street. Whatever noise might escape through the walls and the woods is negligible once you get that far away, and I try not to practice too too late.