Do you wear the drum brand?

opentune

Platinum Member
"The drum brand is just a necessary thing that drummers have to deal with."

I stole this quote from a post of Larry's (sorry Larry without permission!) It prompted me to ask if you change the reso on your bass drum, do you feel the need to get a decal of the brand of drums you are using? Do you feel the pull to tell the world your bass drum is a Gretsch, or Fibes or Pearl....? Does it look better to you?

I have no particular allegiance to any brand, and get tired of talking about brands of drums too, but having switched through 6 different bass drums in the past few years (yes am still trying on different drums) each time I put the new reso on my new bass drum, I left them blank for awhile. Then comes that 'pull' to get the brand name on there. It just looks better to me, but its silly habit, and has nothing to do with the drum, or the drumming. Needless to say, I then order the decal.

Does everybody else feel this pull, or leave the bass drum reso blank?

skod

Absolutely: I think it is critical to show my support of the instrument.

I would not, for example, want to be confused with the bass player... (;-)

Attachments

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
hahahahahaha!

But, yeah, right now I'm doing a clear reso on the bass. I think it looks and sounds better. I'm partial to brands, but if I had a Taye I'd leave the reso on. They have pretty reso heads...

opentune

Platinum Member
cool! what company is that? lol
Funny one abotu the bass player.
Thats the best one yet. made my day.
Next bass drum I get I will have to get a decal that says "not a bass"

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
No pull for a logo head. I couldn't care less. I also am not crazy about drummers advertising that they are a drummer by wearing a Zildjain shirt. Just be the best drummer you can be and shut up about it is my attitude. Anyone who really cares about what your brand of drums are should be able to tell what they are without a logo head. No one cares but drummers anyway. There's not that many drummers in my audiences.

My vintage Luds have logo heads but I don't gig them. I like the mirrored unmarked reso head I use for gigging. People always comment on how cool it looks. No one ever asks me what brand of drums they are, it's just not that important. Kind of shallow really.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've long since changed out from the brand logo head.

Not for anything against the logo, but in general, the stock logo heads are not as high quality as store bought Remo/Aquarian/Evans heads.

And in the past, I wanted the band logo on there.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I also am not crazy about drummers advertising that they are a drummer by wearing a Zildjain shirt.
That's funny! I got a free Zildjian t-shirt with an online cymbal purchase a while back, and as much as I generally favor Zildjian, I just don't want to be seen in that shirt. I don't know what it is ... dorky?

I'm not big on logo heads but when I got my vintage Superstars, I thought it would complete the vibe if I got a decal and put it on the kick reso. It looks kinda cool. My other kit doesn't really have a brand or logo (sorta, but not really - Keller kit). For some reason I always like orienting the kick reso Remo logo upside down on the bottom. Again, I don't know why that is ...

skod

Seriously, though? No. Full stop.

However, having said that: if by some mischance there were to be a commercial consideration provided (free gear perhaps, or other good and valuable tender), then I would certainly consider it. But otherwise, I'm not much inclined towards providing free advertising. I've spent my entire career not advertising anything but me or my band of the moment. I'd much rather see someone put the band name, or their own, on the billboard.

Random audience members simply don't care, and other drummers can tell by the lugs- at least in the case of folks who feel compelled to play kits made up of drums that all came from the same manufacturer... (;-)

Anduin

Pioneer Member
Absolutely not. The first thing I do is remove logo heads. If you want me to display your company name on my kit, yous gotta pay me.

A

Anthony Amodeo

always display Gretsch on the bass drum reso on a white coated on all four of my kits

....and it's not for anyone but me

I don't wear nor own any drum related clothing

EDIT: I lied , I have a Pro Drum Shop zip hoodie

opentune

Platinum Member
For some reason I always like orienting the kick reso Remo logo upside down on the bottom. Again, I don't know why that is ...
Ha. I do the same.
Skod I would agree it is free advertizing, intended or not.
But shallow or not, we all must at some level care what are drums "look" like, otherwise nobody would care what wraps are chosen etc when you purchase a drum or drums. I personally don't feel a need for anything matching, it just has to sound decent.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I like Gretsch. Bought a decal for a white reso, and also wear a Gretsch shirt or hat when I go to a clinic where the drummer plays Gretsch. It never hurts.
Photos of my set will not be confused with any other brand. Not that I have issues with any Major brand

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If I was going to do the logo head, I would buy a real logo head. I think the decals are cheesy, you can tell they were slapped on. Sorry JMO.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely not. The first thing I do is remove logo heads. If you want me to display your company name on my kit, yous gotta pay me.
Do you also disguise badges and lugs, which also betray to other drummers the brand you use? Seriously, if the intent is to not give anything away for free, you've got to be 100% about it.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
If the company logo is on there I just leave it. My kits have our band logo on the reso now so there is no Yamaha logo. I did however put a logo on my hipgig kit, I bought the kit used and the legs and tuning rods were pretty rusty on the bass drum, I called Yamaha and they sent me replacements at no cost. That's great customer service so in a case like that I have no problems advertising their product.

Anduin

Pioneer Member
Do you also disguise badges and lugs, which also betray to other drummers the brand you use? Seriously, if the intent is to not give anything away for free, you've got to be 100% about it.
Ha! I was wondering if anybody would go for that obvious line.

And of course the answer is “no.” I leave the badges. And cymbals and stands still have company names. But that is very different from a logo head that (a) is removable and therefore easily replaced, and (b) is huge and obvious to the audience, which badges etc. are not.

And it has nothing to do with not wanting to “betray to other drummers the brand” I play. I’m happy to talk pros and cons of brands all day. That would be great. But talking to a drummer about gear is very different from essentially broadcasting an advertisement to the entire crowd.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
The only time I bought a logo decal was when I changed the reso head on my Gretsch bass drum. All of the other dozen or so bass drums I have owned did not get that treatment. Once I changed the front head, there was no more brand logo. Peace and goodwill.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've always been proud of the drums I use, and even before my endorsement implications, I would keep the appropriate logo on the original head where possible. That includes my old Yamaha, Sonor, and Ludwig kits back in the day. Some kits may have no logo if the original head is gone, and that's okay too. And I don't force my endorsed brands, either. I won't put a Ludwig logo on a non-Ludwig kit, for example.

As for drummer-wear, I don't specifically wear something unless it's already a nice shirt, like a polo shirt with a small logo. If I have a tee that's got a large logo, I'm more likely to wear it around the house, maybe to the grocery store. I don't like walking into a music store with a music logo shirt though.

Bermuda

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
On t-shirts: I've always had a bunch of t-shirts from various brands.

Back in my music retail days, I had shirts from every brand, as reps were always giving me shirts. And I'd wear them all, regardless if it was a brand I owned or not, because it was at least a brand I sold.

And while I no longer work full time for a store, I do some consulting work once a year, and I still know reps, so I occasionally get free shirts from this or that brand. I wear 'em. Why not, it saves me the trouble of buying a t-shirt. And I don't mind repping for friends.

Anduin

Pioneer Member
How’s this for dichotomy: I won’t have logo heads on my kits worth thousands of dollars, but I’m happy to wear drum logo t-shirts to strategic places where I want to be identified as a drummer in the crowd.