Do you wear shoes when drumming?

Shamani

I use to play barefoot or with socks, but I sweat a lot and the paint started to peel of my Iron Cobras. Now I wear water shoes with a mesh top. They dry fast and keep my pedals dry.

Mount Saint Elle'ns

Silver Member
Sorry, I jest; I wear flip flops and shorts here in Abu Dhabi when I drum. These are Indian Khussa shoes.

;-)

GJS
I got that impression, but I was being careful to not piss off someone who might possibly wear pointy shoes, because pointy-wearing-shoe-people are unstoppable. Like honey badgers. ;)

And great, now I am stuck wanting Khussa shoes. *sigh*

Mount Saint Elle'ns

Silver Member
Brady made the thread a day or 2 ago. I was looking for it today too. Either he, or John, banished it I'm assuming to the land of unwanted threads. I smell foul play. Maybe we should organize a inquiry committee. Possibly a search party. I'm thinking hounds.

So miniderail:

Elle, to the question, do you wear pants when drumming?

What was the answer you had?
I was going to say that it depends on whether he meant British pants, or American pants. :|

(Yes, I know I will be going to hell.)

Frank

Gold Member
In my earlier days, I always, always, always wore sneakers while playing.
Couldn't possibly imagine playing barefoot.

Then I read about people playing barefoot. And I gave it a try.
And I liked it.

When I am at rehearsal with the band, I have sneakers on.
When I am home, I play with nothing more than black socks.

There it is.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Where the heck did the funny thread about wearing pants while drumming go?! I had an answer, dammit! ;)
Brady made the thread a day or 2 ago. I was looking for it today too. Either he, or John, banished it I'm assuming to the land of unwanted threads. I smell foul play. Maybe we should organize a inquiry committee. Possibly a search party. I'm thinking hounds.

So miniderail:

Elle, to the question, do you wear pants when drumming?

What was the answer you had?

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Oh god, if that's a real drummy thing, I want a pair! Actually, I want a pair either way! Really fun shoes. :D
Sorry, I jest; I wear flip flops and shorts here in Abu Dhabi when I drum. These are Indian Khussa shoes.

;-)

GJS

T

The SunDog

Socks. Black socks. Clean, black socks.
This. I started playing barefoot the summer that I was sixteen. I'd get up around 11:00, grab a cup of coffee and head straight to the kit sans shoes or socks. Now I still take my shoes off, but I'm to lazy to lose the socks.

sage32

I have a pair of Chuck Taylor All Stars that I use exclusively as my drumming shoes. They're lightweight and provide good traction and more power than drumming barefoot or with socks. When I was younger I played with socks but now after 10 years of playing I find that light shoes with a good grip provide the most control. I also find it easier to use the heel-toe and slide technique, of which I much prefer the latter.

Mount Saint Elle'ns

Silver Member
I always drum barefoot, but I didn't know it was a thing until someone asked me about it recently. In the summer, I am always barefoot around the house and in my garden, so I didn't think to put on shoes when I started drumming. I did try once with shoes, and found out that shoes don't make me happy.

Winegums

Silver Member
I played barefoot for years, but honestly I got tired of stepping on something dangerous and/or disgusting while playing out in clubs.

Now I almost always wear sneakers. I like either way, but I find that each requires slightly different technique.
I switched to wearing slip on shoes all the time because I play with socks. No issues with slipping them on and off for playing/walking around.