Do you take cymbals/bass-pedal to a venue that have a drumkit?

dazzlez

Hey!
I don't have any gig-experience and wonder how it's usually done.

From what I understand a lot of music venues already have a drumkit and let you play on it.. But is there something I should bring myself except tape and sticks? What about Cymbals or Bass-pedal for example?

brady

Platinum Member
Hey!

From what I understand a lot of music venues already have a drumkit and let you play on it.. But is there something I should bring myself except tape and sticks? What about Cymbals or Bass-pedal for example?
If the venue already has a kit, I still definitely bring my own stuff.

I usually bring:

- Sticks/brushes/mallets

- Cymbals

- Pedal

- Throne (If I'm not sure of the quality of kit provided.)

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Always. Unless you really don't mind whatever is provided, but a lot of times, house kits aren't that great. You can always make due with tuning the drums a little better, but you can't make cymbals sound better, or a kick pedal play a whole lot better if it's just poor quality.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
This also depends upon the situation. If it is an open jam type of situation, then I only bring sticks. If it is a case where a backline is provided, like a charity thing we do every year, then I will always bring, at a minimum, sticks, cymbals, pedals and throne.

Those are also the things I bring to any audition if the band says a drumset is available. I am a huge cymbal snob and it is the one thing I hate playing without.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
First I'm a big guy, so I always try and take my throne. I've seen too many of those really cheap tiny thrones out there.

Sticks are always a must. I'm pretty picky about my bass drum pedal, so I take that as well. I usually will take my cymbals, but I don't always end up using them if the cymbals provided are quality.

With all that, the #1 thing you must remember to take..... DRUM KEY!

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Hey!

I take the following in these circumstances:

Cymbals
Stands
Bass Pedal.
Snare
Throne

Stands is an interesting one but I say this from my UK perspective...often there will be only one or two stands, and they will often be sans cymbal keyholing protectors...on two occasions there have been no stands. Snare stands also...always seem to be pretty cheap, nasty, affairs.

JasperGTR

Like most here -

At a minimum, sticks and pedals. Depending on cymbals, I may bring those. Sometimes snare. Although you could have the best SupraStarAtlasPhonic on the market, their house snare may be best tuned/suited for their own PA (because they've been mic'ing it for the past 45 years - probably with the same drumhead).

dazzlez

I take the following in these circumstances:

Cymbals
Stands
Bass Pedal.
Snare
Throne

Stands is an interesting one but I say this from my UK perspective...often there will be only one or two stands, and they will often be sans cymbal keyholing protectors...on two occasions there have been no stands. Snare stands also...always seem to be pretty cheap, nasty, affairs.
haha so you take the whole kit except tom's then? xD
sounds horrible... worst thing is that it will be in the UK I will gig in the near future =/
I hope I will survive without taking stands and snare.

T

The Old Hyde

You never know what you will find so its a good idea to have the basics with you. pedal/s snare, throne. cymbals. I brought these to a gig last month and didn't use any of it (stick bag of course). the kit was a pile but not so bad that I couldn't use it.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I bring sticks only to the blues jam. I bring sticks, snare, and cymbals to church (they have a pretty decent DW pedal). Depending on the drumset and changeover time I might bring pedals and throne as well. But I have played in many club scenes where everyone schlepped his or her own kit in and out during changeovers as well.

Get to know the places you're going to play. A trip out on Thursday may mean a lot less aggravation on Saturday.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Pedals, snare and stand, throne, and hi hat and stand are my basic minimum. The very basis of my playing foundation. The cymbals would go too, but not necessarily come out of the bag if they didn't need to.

For what it's worth, I hate playing kits other than mine in a show setting because it messes with muscle memory and therefore requires more unwanted thinking.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
haha so you take the whole kit except tom's then? xD
sounds horrible... worst thing is that it will be in the UK I will gig in the near future =/
I hope I will survive without taking stands and snare.
I do...but it's only one big box, a cymbal bag, and a snare bag.

It's paranoid though I agree...

But you'd be flabbergasted how many different connotations the words "we have a kit, but bring your 'breakables' " can have :)

You'll probably be ok without stands (remember to take some cymbal keyholing protectors if you value your cymbals though !!)....but I would DEFINITELY take your snare.

keepitgreen

All the local places here have their own kits, and I've always made a point to visit a day or two before the gig to see what's going on. Within 5 minutes of looking at the house kit you can have a pretty good idea what you're working with.

Regardless, I always bring my cymbals, snare, pedal, and sticks. And in the stick bag I ALWAYS bring a full compliment of felts and plastic cymbal stand protectors. And a roll of duct/gaffer tape. A million and one uses, and the one time you forget it will be the time you need it most.

ggmerino

I most often bring cymbals and pedal to gigs as that is standard around here. I also bring the same to the rehearsal/recording studio.

I am curious what other stuff people bring (other than sticks):

(1) tape for fixing things- even a broken head in a bind- and for muffling I also bring felt strips.

(2) cymbal felts, plastic protectors, earplugs, drum key, wrench, untility knife, pen, paper, bottle opener.

(3) a length of thin rope for tying things together if they drift- In particular I often tie the hihat stand to the throne as I have an active and heavy left foot.

(4) I used to bring a spare bass drum pedal "just in case," but I never needed it so I stopped (I am sure at my next gig it will break of course).

(5) Iphone with Spotify and headphones to quickly find and listen to any songs someone wants to play or references.

(6) Zoom H2N recorder for recording any new parts or songs.

(7) And finally, depending on the venue- a bicycle lock so my stuff does not walk away.

Milt Hathaway

As a backline provider, I've seen the full range. Even had a couple of events where the drummer showed up without sticks thinking he'd just use whatever is there.

Here's my take on it:

• Cymbals: For most drummers these are key to their signature sound.
  • Snare: Once again, a key part of a drummer's sound.
  • Kick pedal, hi hat stand, sticks, throne: These are directly physically connected to you when you play. If you carry any stress at all on stage, carrying these items also will help you get past the stress. Now I seldom see anyone carry a hi hat stand, but that doesn't mean it can't be done if you need it.

What to take also depends upon how much time you'll spend behind that kit. If it's two songs, don't be that guy who brings a pile of stuff the change out. If it's a full night, then by all means make yourself comfortable enough to play well and enjoy the experience. In between those two extremes is a judgement call only you can make.

It also depends upon what genre you are playing. Jazz cats will always bring their own cymbals, but won't worry too much about the snare. Country players will bring the snare and not worry about the cymbals. Etc, etc.

Personally, I'll take stick bag, kick pedal, and cymbals at a minimum. Snare is next on my list.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
It does depend on how long you are playing.

For just one song or so, I may not bring anything other than sticks.

For a full set, yes, throne, and cymbals, and perhaps snare.

Also depends on (if I know) what they already have.

JasperGTR

What to take also depends upon how much time you'll spend behind that kit. If it's two songs, don't be that guy who brings a pile of stuff the change out. If it's a full night, then by all means make yourself comfortable enough to play well and enjoy the experience. In between those two extremes is a judgement call only you can make.
Given my back problems, if I play anywhere for longer than 30 minutes, I bring another throne.

dazzlez

Thanx for all the reply's! They are all really helpful.

I have a follow up question..
What kind of spare parts do I need except tape, felts, keyhole protectors and drumkey ?

I don't have much experience with setting up acoustic drumkits. I know how to put em together but I don't for example if I need 6mm or 8mm wingnuts in my stickbag? Should I buy both to have them ready? Or is Wingnuts something that will always be at the cymbal-stand and all I have to worry about is felts and keyhole-protectors...

groove1

Silver Member
For rock/blues/funk I play whatever is there. For jazz, unless I already know what to expect,
I take a snare and ride cymbal along with sticks/brushes/mallets...maybe hats.