Do You Drum While Not Drumming?

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I am constantly drumming when I'm not behind my kit. I find myself always working on sticking, rhythms, timing, etc. I think it's at a subconscious level at this point and my mind is always playing the drums. It's really strange to be engaged in an activity that isn't music related only to be momentarily interrupted by a drum groove.

If these random drumming thoughts were noticeable, people would think that I'm totally nuts!

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
You're not the only one for sure. I got a finger rudiment exercise that helps me with dexterity. That transfers to how my fingers control the sticks. Very useful AND I can do it all while just sitting at my desk. :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
This morning while making an omelette I was playing the range hood. I remember back in 1966 while riding shot gun one of our female friends saying “ now Johnny’s playing the dash board”. The range hood sounded good by the way. Almost as good as my double stainless kitchen sink.

Macarina

Silver Member
You’re not a real drummer if you haven’t tapped out songs on the steering wheel, shift knob, your lap, and a left footed kick on your floorboard.

Yessir, now that’s how you figure out tunes, while driving.

Just don’t text while driving... it’s dangerous

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
This morning while making an omelette I was playing the range hood. I remember back in 1966 while riding shot gun one of our female friends saying “ now Johnny’s playing the dash board”. The range hood sounded good by the way. Almost as good as my double stainless kitchen sink.
I'm kind of an omelette enthusiast/fanatic, so I approve of this post including both eggs and hitting stuff in rhythm.

Do you like to make american diner style or something else? I'm partial to my own hybrid french style and like to use shmancy veggies and cheeses.

aaronmcd

I've been doing this for years, if not decades, and I've only been drumming 6 months.
The real drumming only makes the habit worse (or better, one could argue).

OldReliable

Yes!!! I’ve driven countless teachers to the brink of insanity with my sick pencil beats :). In all seriousness, it’s actually kind of a problem for me, since I do it without thinking about it. I’ll just start banging away, whether during a test, quiz, etc. The worst is when a jam like “Tom Sawyer” by Rush comes on and I physically have the unstoppable urge to play the tom fills on a desk.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm kind of an omelette enthusiast/fanatic, so I approve of this post including both eggs and hitting stuff in rhythm.

Do you like to make american diner style or something else? I'm partial to my own hybrid french style and like to use shmancy veggies and cheeses.
i do chicken or turkey with cheddar cheese

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I try to cure myself so as not to drive my wife or colleagues mad !
Tap on the floor, tap on the steering wheel or dashboard, table and so forth, and when I'm not, I often sing, lyrics or drum parts. I guess I'm very annoying.

ConcertTom

Absolutely! As long as, if not since before, I was drumming, which started at the age of 7. Teachers and fellow students would get pretty annoyed and I wouldn't even have realized I was doing it. I don't know when it stopped bothering people, but it may have been around the time I was studying frame drums and tablas. My finger dexterity definitely improved then and the dynamics I could produce on a table/cup/steering wheel helped turn an incessant tap-tap-tap into a more dynamic musical expression (in my mind anyway). That's pretty much how I do it now and I don't get called out on it, except by my kids, who asked me to stop playing on the dog bowls while they're eating breakfast. It's just so damn tempting! Because the 2 dogs' food bowls are just about a perfect 4th apart and they sound so good together as I'm carrying them over to the counter...

SquadLeader

Gold Member
When I was a kind my neighbour had a drum kit. I would bash on the arm of the chair and tap my foot in line with the rhythm of his drumming.

I was pretty confident that if I ever got behind a kit I'd be able to drum basic beats.

When I hit my early teens my older mate Sean and his band got rid of their drummer and invited me to come along and hit some bongos during one of their rehearsals. They were playing just classic rock stuff. I turned up with the drum sticks I'd bought, using their ex drummers old kit (which my mate had bought) and I could drum straight away.

I expect my timing was probably a bit ropy and I wasn't quick at getting around the kit....but I could drum to all that classic rock stuff.

I don't think I've ever really improved particularly massively. A bit faster now, and stronger control of time and tempo. And as I've got older I'm more professional in my own mind (ie. the ego is gone...I'm not always trying to smack them around like Keith Moon). But I'm still basically ok.

One thing I would say. I've always had a rather unhealthy disrespect for classic rock drummers on the basis that my experience told me that, despite all the stick tricks, the facial gurning, and the attitude and image, that they are playing music which was and remains pretty piss easy.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Oh yeah was almost "drummed" out of grad school with my drumming and whistling while I work. Then afterwards as a post doc and then research scientist I could never share an office with anyone-I "drummed" them out. The fidgeting, whistling, drumming, talking to myself-drove all of them away. They all liked me just couldn't share an office with me. I always apologized and tried my best to be sensitive to others, but it's just an autopilot thing. True-story I was working on taking pics of some immunohistochemistry analysis of protein expression in chick embryo vascular system in a dark room. The room bordered the Chairman of Dept and another professors offices. While working both came in and nicely asked me to quit whistling and drumming-which of course I did. Well my ADD self forgot while back at work, fortunately the chairman had left his office, the other fellow was reviewing a grant so he came in, again, and asked me to keep it quiet that he was reviewing this grant and needed to concentrate. Now this man was the most gentle person who I didn't even think had a temper, but obviously when I did it again my third try was the charm. He came in apoplectic raging at me to shut the hell up. I felt bad. A few months later he was booted for sexual harassment of a lab tech so he was ironically "drummed" out.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I was taking my sister to the Airport one time and giving the steering wheel a good workout when she told me I needed a set of drums. Now look where I am.
Unfortunately she never got to see me play.