Djembe re-head

Nealio1987

heres how i re-headed my mechanically tuned djembe after much diffuculty in the past :

remove two lugs from the drum shell , i chose the front two.
put new head on and go round putting the rods through the remaining lugs , add the nut.

the two you have removed , putt the rods through both lugs and add the nut.

then reattach the lugs to the shell of the drum , via the 10ml nut on the inside of the drum ..

just thought i would share this as i had problems the first time as i tried to rehead as you do with a tom or snare drum... this doesn't work......

nealio

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
Re: DJEMBE RE-HEAD

i had two broken headed djembes at work (good quality traditional roped ones) and we couldn't find a local reskining service that was cheap enough to make it worthwhile so i asked my boss if i could buy the shells. she sold them to me for £10, i then purchased goat skin online and watched a few youtube vids on reskinning and in just two hours both djembes were good as new. its a lot easier than i thought.
j

Nealio1987

hi there

I have never re-headed a rope tuned djembe , it certainly looks hard , well done on that , I might try that some day , dont you need a special tool to tune the rope djembe's ?

nealios

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator

i just used my hands and a drumstick (like a cleat). the skins were soaked in water for an hour so they were engorged. overnight it dried into a pair of perfectly tuned drums.
j