Distractions While Playing

trickg

Silver Member
How do you get to be a band leader if you can't tell the difference between 4/4 and 6/8?
Because in a church, the person who "leads" a praise team is often put in that place due to reasons that sometimes don't have a lot to do with being a musician.

In my praise team, I am by far the most experienced and knowledgeable person on the team. I don't say that to be arrogant - it's a simple fact. I've been a working pro-level musician for over 30 years, and the rest of the band consists of part-time and hobbyist players from disparate ages, backgrounds and abilities. Aside from that, there are aspects to leadership in a musical ensemble that don't have anything to do with music - believe me, I don't want to be the leader. :) At the end of the day, I just try to do my part and be patient with those who sometimes struggle with certain things musically.

Peedy

Because in a church, the person who "leads" a praise team is often put in that place due to reasons that sometimes don't have a lot to do with being a musician.

In my praise team, I am by far the most experienced and knowledgeable person on the team. I don't say that to be arrogant - it's a simple fact. I've been a working pro-level musician for over 30 years, and the rest of the band consists of part-time and hobbyist players from disparate ages, backgrounds and abilities. Aside from that, there are aspects to leadership in a musical ensemble that don't have anything to do with music - believe me, I don't want to be the leader. :) At the end of the day, I just try to do my part and be patient with those who sometimes struggle with certain things musically.
That’s pretty much the deal. Our pro players are the bass player (pro flutist, classically trained) and our keyboardist (dude is amazing). Praise team leader coordinates and is lead singer. Good quality player but seems to lean heavily toward 4/4. Oh, and we all play for free, so there’s that.

Pete

Peedy

How do you get to be a band leader if you can't tell the difference between 4/4 and 6/8?
Oh, should have mentioned it’s more of a brain fart thing.

We practice the songs correctly on Saturday but come game time on Sunday, she sometimes misses that notation and just goes 4/4.

benthedrum

Actually, I have another distraction story. The band I was in at the time played at a high school one afternoon. Anyways, there was a group of kids standing about 6 feet behind me.......one of the cheeky idiots threw a hot sausage roll from the canteen and it landed square on the back of my head. Then her mate threw a meat pie smothered in ketchup and it hit my floor tom.

The headmaster was on ground duty and saw them do it.....boy HOWDY did they get in trouble.

Oh, that was the same gig that a cockatoo was perched on a branch above me in a gum tree we were playing under and it did the biggest @#$& and it dropped lovingly onto my knee.

Yep....I was living the dream that day.

NEVER play under a tree.