Did I buy a defective head?

I just bought three coated Vintage Emperors. One 16" and two 14"s. The 16 and one of the 14s both make a low tone out the box. The other 14 makes a flappy sound with no pitch. Is this a sign of a bad head?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Considering you already have it. Put it on and tune it up and tap it with your finger. If there's a noticeable lack of tone, take it off and return it undamaged. If not, venture a little further and hit it with a stick. If it sounds ok keep it. If not, go through the normal return policy procedure.

My kit is not actually at my place so I can't do that. I'm hoping they'll just let me swap it out tomorrow when I walk in there.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Remo's 2-ply heads are notorious for having problems. On an embarrassing percentage of Pinstripes and Emperors - 25-33% in my experience - the layers don't lay flat to each other, and so the head is dead. Yes, take it back.

The tap test is helpful in sorting the good heads from the bad, but shouldn't those heads have been pulled at the factory?? Yes, of course they should have. It's a quality control problem that Remo addresses reactively: "if you get a bad head, send it back and we'll replace it." Yes, they said that to me on the phone, a Remo artist for 16 years (not counting the following day.)

I'm not here to promote the heads I have endorsed since 2001, we'll just call them the "E" company. I have never, EVER had a bad 2-ply (or other) head from them. Do they make an occasional bad head? I would assume so. But they don't send them to the stores or their artists. They have excellent quality control.

Bermuda

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Remo's 2-ply heads are notorious for having problems. On an embarrassing percentage of Pinstripes and Emperors - 25-33% in my experience - the layers don't lay flat to each other, and so the head is dead. Yes, take it back.

The tap test is helpful in sorting the good heads from the bad, but shouldn't those heads have been pulled at the factory?? Yes, of course they should have. It's a quality control problem that Remo addresses reactively: "if you get a bad head, send it back and we'll replace it." Yes, they said that to me on the phone, a Remo artist for 16 years (not counting the following day.)

I'm not here to promote the heads I have endorsed since 2001, we'll just call them the "E" company. I have never, EVER had a bad 2-ply (or other) head from them. Do they make an occasional bad head? I would assume so. But they don't send them to the stores or their artists. They have excellent quality control.

Bermuda
Very true. I completely agree and I'm a Remo user. The "E" company does seem to have better QC than Remo. Also, the "E" company's parent company "D" does a really good job at addressing any and all issues as well. I don't think I've ever had a dead head from the "E" company either. Even though I seem to always go back to the Remo sound, the deadheads can get annoying if you are having heads shipped to you.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I got my share of bad Remo Pinstripes back in the day. I started testing them at the store. Now I use the E brand mentioned above. ;)