DEVO's Whip It

DrummerCA35

Have any of you covered this? And if so, how have you handled the "whip" sound? And if you don't use electronics what are some alternatives? A flam on the snare? A China cymbal?

Or has your keys player handled it?

lsits

Gold Member
When I used to play it the keyboard player handled the sound effects. It was all I could do to keep up with the 16th notes on the hi hat and snare.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'd go with a China.

But depending on the gig, it's also nice to have a simple sample player, like an Alesis SamplePad, and trigger it from there.

poekoelan

That 80s synthesized music has never been my cup of tea. But I just gave the song a listen and I think the splash idea might work well. Not exactly the same sound, but similar in that it is a high pitched sound with quick decay.

bermuda

Staff member
A splash might make a suitable sound, but the volume won't be there. The 'whip' is pretty loud in the song.

Bermuda

bermuda

Staff member
Audio attachments have been weird for me lately, but see if this works.

Enjoy :)

Attachments

DrummerCA35

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. Much appreciated. Our keys player has his hands full so to speak. I sent the link of the hand-held device to our lead singer to see if he would do it. I don't think he wants to. At the gig I just hit a crash. Lame, maybe I'll see about a china and/or a stack.