Detuned toms

jimb

Just lowered the tuning on my toms and what a difference to the tone. They now sound richer and fuller with less boing!..have to say I find the tone and feel very satisfying, its almost as if the sticks are plunging into a soft pudding...
Just wondering how they will sound out in the crowd.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Just lowered the tuning on my toms and what a difference to the tone. They now sound richer and fuller with less boing!..have to say I find the tone and feel very satisfying, its almost as if the sticks are plunging into a soft pudding...
Just wondering how they will sound out in the crowd.
In my experience, sounding good (low deep and punchy) at the throne means not sounding good in the audience if you are unmiced.

If you tune the toms higher for gigs, the sound will carry to the back of the room and they will actually sound like toms rather than a dead splat.

A low tuned tom only sounds good for about 7.5 feet IMO.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
In my experience, sounding good (low deep and punchy) at the throne means not sounding good in the audience if you are unmiced.

If you tune the toms higher for gigs, the sound will carry to the back of the room and they will actually sound like toms rather than a dead splat.

That's a good key point, it really depends on if you are playing acoustically or with mics... or for that matter just practicing in your garage/basement/spare room.

I tune very differently if I'm close miced than if I'm playing an acoustic gig.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I think if you tune down a little bit with a single-ply coated head, you can get a thick, warm sound with some resonance. Mic'em up and they sound like thunder. :)

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member

I agree with Larry. I get to listen to my drums being played from the audience. What he says is true.
However, if the band is playing very quietly, low tuned toms might adequately carry to the audience.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I agree with Larry and others-playing live you need to tune them up high to cut though. I'd say the range is about 4 foot for low tuned toms-that's about what my single mic Zoom can pick up-past that you can't hear them. It is weird cause behind the kit it sounds way too high pitched-but in front sounds perfect. Sound waves bounce around and are affected just like light waves in funny ways sometimes.

jimb

I think if you tune down a little bit with a single-ply coated head, you can get a thick, warm sound with some resonance. Mic'em up and they sound like thunder. :)
That does seem to be whats happening I think as Im using G1's on them and the the ref to thunder kinda sounds about right.

Oh I forgot to mention my kit is a cheap Mapex one made from Basswood with 18" bass drum....if a cheap kit can sound that good I can only imagine how a higher end set might sound.