Determining BPM in songs

Grolubao

Hi all,
I normally like to practice my rudiments over a song to make it more fun. For that I need to compile a set of songs that are all within the same BPMs. I tried to use many software to automatically determine the BPM's of my songs in iTunes, but still none of them work perfectly.

In your experience, what do you use to determine BPM of songs automatically? Best even if it's integrated with iTunes?

Thanks!

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
i use the tap function of my tama rhythm watch. most up market metronomes have one. it is a good investment.
j

Mukund

Hey Grulobao,

Practicing rudiments over songs is actually fun and makes the practice more interesting :)
and same as Nutha,i too use my tama rhythm watch.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Yeah, tap functions are your friend. I generally use tap to get a general BPM, and then let it run for a few measures along with the track to see if it's slightly slow or fast, and then I adjust it manually one BPM at a time if I need to have it more precise.

Galadrm

Not all songs are recorded to a bpm. I have tried to match the bpm using the lines on the bar measures in logic to line up with the main hits of songs, and sometimes they vary ever so slightly within the song. otherwise like everyone else has suggested just use the tap function on a metronome

8Mile

Platinum Member
Not all songs are recorded to a bpm. I have tried to match the bpm using the lines on the bar measures in logic to line up with the main hits of songs, and sometimes they vary ever so slightly within the song. otherwise like everyone else has suggested just use the tap function on a metronome
Yes. Anyone studying original artist recordings to prepare for covering the song on a gig knows how this goes. Especially for music made more than 10 years ago, when tempo changes were considered more acceptable in pop music. The tune often starts at a different than it ends, or it may change between verse and chorus. I try to find a happy medium where I can start at a tempo and stay there.

When in doubt, I make sure the chorus is well-served by my choice of BPM.

Grolubao

Yes, but I was looking for something that would scan through my library and determine automatically the BPM for all the songs I have. I know there is a couple products in the market but not them work well, so that's why I wanted the opinion...

K.Howden

The way I do it is simple; put on the tune, look at a clock, count how many beats you hear within ten seconds, multiply that number by six.

Hope everyone is well,

Kev