Denting drumheads

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I'm 42. The only reason I'm not on a tight budget is no mortage, no kids and the fact that I haven't had any issues with my car lately. lol

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I recently sold a bunch of my old heads as they were still in great shape.
I leave the old ones outside the practice room.

It's a good way of recycling, they'd get thrown away usually. They get taken quickly.

What do you sell old heads for?
We have Kijiji in Canada. It is basicaly Craigslist with more hockey sticks and plad for sale.

I put em up for $75 for about 32 heads in pretty darn good condition, but still used. Some were only on for a month or 2, and then I would have to record so I'd change them out. Some longer, but still usable. I had a few snares I like to CRANK. those heads get tossed. Same with any dents, or ones like Evans EC2's where the ring starts to fall apart.

The guy was more than happy to try that many heads on his kit (I had different brands, coated, clear, single, dual ply etc.).

I was keeping them for spares or backups. Or if I grabbed a used kit and wanted to experiment, but I needed the shelf for something else.

My jamspot is my house. Had I known someone that could have used them I would have gave them away.

Icetech

Gold Member
in 4 years i had never dented a head then recently i started denting them pretty bad but hadn't changed my playing much.. The main thing, i switched to round tip sticks, I hadn't realized that was it til i just read it on here.. was bugging me.

I actually love a diplo for batter on my dyna, but last one didn't make it long.. might have to switch tips or start playing softer.. or both :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
if you have dented heads hold a lighter a few inches from the head for a few seconds and they will disappear

experiment with an old head before you use this technique on heads you care about ... there is a learning curve

works best with tension on the head
Haha I experimented with an iron. The head looked like a goofball (was on a kit I got in trade), and actually it worked. Only drawback was the heat seemed to shrink the head some and it sounded like it was tuned. It was not on a drum. So it did get rid of the dents, but the head was not still usable. Gonna try the lighter trick next time.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
if you have dented heads hold a lighter a few inches from the head for a few seconds and they will disappear

experiment with an old head before you use this technique on heads you care about ... there is a learning curve

That's an awesome idea-much like wetting and heating up an art canvas. I've dinged some reso kick heads in past (that I immediately replaced) that I could have possibly saved-least worth a try.

WhoIsTony?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I'd venture to guess that in context, i.e., drums mixed, with bass, guitars, vocals, etc, along with the room, miking, how adept the sound man is at mixing, on top of how well the drums are actually tuned to begin with, a few dents likely matters very little.
LOL you are probably correct but makes you wonder why we change heads so often. I've seen orchestral snare guys with heads all beat to hell and years old and refuse to change it-like it's good luck, and I've seen a few old kits with decades old heads that still sounded good. But in theory it should alter the standing wave of the head itself. Just watched the other thread tuning drum heads to the drum shells pitch which had odd results-the human ear vs reality it seems-too funny.

8Mile

Platinum Member
When I first started playing, my friend (and I guess sort of my first teacher) told me, "Don't be afraid to hit the drums. You're not going to break them. Go ahead; try hitting the snare as hard as you can."

I did and promptly dented the head. We both laughed. I'm sure I chopped it at a terrible angle; I was an absolute beginner.

Hasn't happened to me since.

trickg

Silver Member
Yep it's the dangle angle prominent in dents-just set the mounted tom at a steep angle but loose on post and play-it will shift to less steep angle from play. I wonder how dents alter the standing wave on the drum head and alters the sound-how many dents does it take? I started trying to find that information and found this nice masters work that someone had done (I was also looking had someone measured hits on various drum elements-as what percent of hits are snare, cymbal or tom that another thread had me wondering. https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/articles/james-l-seward/what-benefits-can-illegal-aliens-receive
I'd venture to guess that in context, i.e., drums mixed, with bass, guitars, vocals, etc, along with the room, miking, how adept the sound man is at mixing, on top of how well the drums are actually tuned to begin with, a few dents likely matters very little.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Yep it's the dangle angle prominent in dents-just set the mounted tom at a steep angle but loose on post and play-it will shift to less steep angle from play. I wonder how dents alter the standing wave on the drum head and alters the sound-how many dents does it take? I started trying to find that information and found this nice masters work that someone had done (I was also looking had someone measured hits on various drum elements-as what percent of hits are snare, cymbal or tom that another thread had me wondering. https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/articles/james-l-seward/what-benefits-can-illegal-aliens-receive

trickg

Silver Member
Only a neanderthal with no sense of chops dents a head.

It takes zero rebound and a sharp angle of attack to do it.
No. (Kind of, but it's not the only reason)

I have only dented drum heads using round tip sticks.
This - I never dented heads until I switched to round tip sticks. With a round tip stick, it doesn't matter what angle your toms are, or what your technique is - it's always going to strike more or less the same because of the ball tip. And no, it's not because I'm a neanderthal with no sense of chops or technique. I don't hit particularly hard, and I use lighter sticks - maple Vic Firth SD4 Combos, specifically. If I use any kind of velocity with the stick, I get a few dents here and there, and I'm ok with it because I swap heads out often enough that it's a non-issue.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I recently sold a bunch of my old heads as they were still in great shape.
I leave the old ones outside the practice room.

It's a good way of recycling, they'd get thrown away usually. They get taken quickly.

What do you sell old heads for?
I used to donate mine to guys at smaller churches I knew, but don't have those connections I used to have anymore. I've developed a bit of a back stock of very slightly used heads from trying a bunch out on some kits recently, and have thought about trying to sell them. Except I'd almost wonder if it would be worth selling on Reverb or not.

Last edited:

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
honestly I have only ever seen this in two places

beginner players kits and house kits

it has nothing to do with velocity and everything to do with the angle of impact
You know what. This is probibly 100% right, but if you add all the other factors, like stick/tip size, hitting hard, single ply, and head tension it will make the issue much worse.

Playing death metal and hitting reasonably hard I don't think I have actualy dented a head in years. I have maybe found one or 2 small ones on heads that were on my kit for year, but playing every day that is pretty acceptable in my books, and those heads should have been changed months before. I also let my friends play my kit when they come over the house so this actually surprises me.

House kits are played by SO many drummers, and I am sure some crank those tom angles far too much.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Recently I threw a spare snare head in the car for a gig... Pretty haphazardly, unfortunately; couldn't figure out what I did with the box. Anyway, I was so un-careful that I accidentally allowed my high hat stand to sit on top of the drumhead. Dented the crap out of it. So I guess I can't join this fancy pants "never dented a drumhead" gaggle.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Recently I threw a spare snare head in the car for a gig... Pretty haphazardly, unfortunately; couldn't figure out what I did with the box. Anyway, I was so un-careful that I accidentally allowed my high hat stand to sit on top of the drumhead. Dented the crap out of it. So I guess I can't join this fancy pants "never dented a drumhead" gaggle.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I saw a small dent on the batter head on my 12" tom. I have been having problems with the Swiv-o-matic mount slipping and other people have played on that kit here and there. I'm not really sure how it happened and i'm honestly a little embarrassed by it.