Deception Rims

Salty Dog

Have any of you thought about removing the bottom head for sound preferences but opted against because, seriously who likes the look of concert toms right?

Now what if you removed the bottom head but left on the rim just for show? Is anyone doing that? Does it even make sense?

Stroman

Platinum Member
Have any of you thought about removing the bottom head for sound preferences but opted against because, seriously who likes the look of concert toms right?

Now what if you removed the bottom head but left on the rim just for show? Is anyone doing that? Does it even make sense?
That's been done quite often! Looks like a regular tom, and protects the bearing edge.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
You must mean cutting a very large hole in the bottom head.
Leaving just the hoop of the head and a tiny bit of the film.
Otherwise the bottom rim would just be hanging there, and rattling when you hit the drum.

Salty Dog

You must mean cutting a very large hole in the bottom head.
Leaving just the hoop of the head and a tiny bit of the film.
Otherwise the bottom rim would just be hanging there, and rattling when you hit the drum.

HJ, I haven't tried it so I wouldn't know if the rim would rattle but I guess it would. Regardless I think cutting an old head and just keeping the rim is a great idea and I assume also serves to protect the bearing edge.

Salty Dog

That's been done quite often! Looks like a regular tom, and protects the bearing edge.
Oh ok so if it's done regularly & I never came across one it must mean that the deception works well then ; ). I will google and see who does this. Thx

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Or try different size holes in the reso heads. A ported reso head might not look too bad, it might even look cool. (Start a new trend)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I cut out some old heads to swap out when the concert tom mood strikes. But it doesn't strike very often at all...

Salty Dog

There was a time when my medication regime slipped, but I'm back on track now ;)

(Disclosure - I like the look of concert toms)
Lol. Ok I guess I know what your stance on this is. If done tastefully in an overall set-up Concert toms could be cool looking but just don't remove the BD resonant head just so I can see a stack of pillows there.

Has there ever been a Guru concert tom?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Wait a minute, why would someone dramatically alter the sound of a musical instrument based solely on appearance?
Not that I personally own any, but there was this guy named Phil Collins who toured the world on a private jet playing in stadiums.
Heaven only knows how many tickets were never sold because of his concert toms. ;)

My tongue-in-cheek comments are not a passive-aggressive attack on the question, but merely my rant towards the undeniable fact that so-many drummers approach drums with their eyes more than their ears. Rant-over.
Larry, it's your turn.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Has there ever been a Guru concert tom?
No. Not because I don't like them, I do. They have a great vibe in the right place. From a Guru perspective, it's more to do with us not being able to add as much sonic value as we can with two headed drums. Concert tom shells have way less influence over the resultant sound, & it's a limited palate.

just don't remove the BD resonant head just so I can see a stack of pillows there.
Pillows, or any laundry related items = something else you'll never find us using in our bass drums.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member

I could see it making sense if you were miked and you were wanting a lot of isolation between drums (this would be MUCH cheaper than installing a MAY miking kit). Plus if you like the sound of concert toms but wanted the look of a double-headed tom, then this would be a great option.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you take off the bottom rim and the tension rods, some drums have lugs where the "hole" or lug nut inside the lug itself tends to "float" around which will rattle if they aren't helping to hold the head on. For example, if I took my heads, rims, and tension rods off of my Tama Rockstars and then hit the shell with the palm of my hand, I would hear a lot of rattling because those lug nuts rattle around in the lug. Some lugs won't do this, but some will. It just depends on the drum.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Another advantage of this method is, you have a drum that produces both sounds. A concert tom only sounds like a concert tom!

This way, if you want the sound of a double-headed tom, all you have to do is reinstall the reso heads.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I have a 13, 16, 22 kit that I built with 13 & 16 concert toms. I use G14's with sound rings. It's a pretty unique sound. Not bad because it fits the type of old classic rock that we play.

The other night, I went to a jam and the drummer there had two kits. One was an old Sligerland kit with concert toms. It really sounded awesome! I would love to buy that kit. Instead of a bottom ring, It has the edge covered with a strip of ornamental steel or aluminum, I'm not sure exactly.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Larry, it's your turn.
C. Crack me on the head if you see me playing them
O. Over my dead body
N. Not on your life
C. Crack. I'd rather smoke crack
E. Ewww
R. Rediculous
T. Thirty years ago I hated them too

T. Trolls are more welcome
O. Oriollo....don't do it!
M. Must we talk about this?
S. Seriously?

Salty Dog

Wait a minute, why would someone dramatically alter the sound of a musical instrument based solely on appearance?
Not that I personally own any, but there was this guy named Phil Collins who toured the world on a private jet playing in stadiums.
Heaven only knows how many tickets were never sold because of his concert toms. ;)

My tongue-in-cheek comments are not a passive-aggressive attack on the question, but merely my rant towards the undeniable fact that so-many drummers approach drums with their eyes more than their ears. Rant-over.
Larry, it's your turn.
But you missed the point. My question is to find an answer that satisfies both my ears & eyes. You know the way an instrument looks is pretty damn important if you ask me. It's not a far stretch to get a great looking & sounding drum.

Salty Dog

No. Not because I don't like them, I do. They have a great vibe in the right place. From a Guru perspective, it's more to do with us not being able to add as much sonic value as we can with two headed drums. Concert tom shells have way less influence over the resultant sound, & it's a limited palate.

Pillows, or any laundry related items = something else you'll never find us using in our bass drums.
Thanks for you input & KIS. Good point about the limited palate never looked at it that way. Oh BTW I wasn't saying GURU drums come equipped with pillows it was more of a general comment.