Debut with the Devo tribute band last night!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So last night was my debut with the Devo tribute band, “Through Being Cool”. We were opening for the Oingo Boingo tribute band, “Dead Mans Party”, and a can last night filmed us with his phone and posted the video here:

All in all. We had a lot of fun and the crowd dug it. We may stick with this set up where I’m off to the side because we’re already discussing songs I may start singing too. Hopefully we’ll get busy on the tribute band circuit soon.

The audio is bad but at least I could see how dorky I look.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Good times right there. It's what it's about. Would have loved to have been there and seen the Oingo Boingo tribute band too.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Nice. Looks like you guys were having fun.
Out of curiosity, where did you/they get the Devo hats?
I asked him the same question. He found the suit the band provided the hat.
Bo you guys nailed the whole vibe-I bet the audience loved it. Your snare really sounded good and drove the band.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good times right there. It's what it's about. Would have loved to have been there and seen the Oingo Boingo tribute band too.
The Boingo tribute band nailed it. They had been in business for well-over ten years by now. They even got one of the original Balafons' that Oingo Boingo used for the song "Grey Matter". They said Elfman is keeping his, but this one was from Boingo trumpeter Leon Schneiderman! Very cool.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I asked him the same question. He found the suit the band provided the hat.
Bo you guys nailed the whole vibe-I bet the audience loved it. Your snare really sounded good and drove the band.
Thanks - apparently, things started to get positive for us by the next day. I think we were in the right place at the right time. I'm told we picked up semi-management who are ready to book us and were told we are what they need because nobody in SoCal is doing it. So here's to hoping for the best!

I had been approaching my live playing with phatter snare sounds lately, and I'm glad this time it worked out. I was a stark contrast to the Boingo tribute drummer who had the typical semi-tight Copeland type of sound (which I thought was wrong since some songs Johnny Vatos used a big fat sounding snare too).

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Lots of fun - you've put up better clips since this :)
It was so nice that additional people who were there posted video! As an update - I was told we definitely are getting booked to fill a void. There is apparently NO Devo-Type bands in the SoCal area ready for prime time. One promoter (working a big live-venue chain) said he was about to put a band like this together to book, and then he found us after the show. So we are in a semi-holding pattern until the singer and his wife have a new baby, and the next gig lined up is September 21. We should be able to hit the Halloween tribute band circuit after that.

I would usually be giddy with this news, but I'm a realist, and I've seen things just dematerialize for people for one reason or another. So I have high hopes, but if people forget who we are by September 21, that's just a part of the business.

One thing I'm thinking about is using bigger drums. Now that I have my black 26" Bonham kit, I'm gonna add another rack tom to it to make it a giant six-piece. The usual 12/13/16/22 looks a little too normal for me.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I'm thinking about is using bigger drums. Now that I have my black 26" Bonham kit, I'm gonna add another rack tom to it to make it a giant six-piece. The usual 12/13/16/22 looks a little too normal for me.
Offered with respect, as the band has a fun delivery, you might as well leverage the juxtaposition :)