Dear Diary.

baz

Silver Member
...Thanks guys.

so much to say.

As I stated earlier, we played our first gig. We did a seven song set on a flatbed trailer in a music store parking lot. I was nervous going in, as I did not know my parts as well as I knew I should. I was confident that I would not derail the train if I just kept to the basics, and played simply but solid. The gig went very well. We sounded a lot tighter than we did in our last couple of run throughs. It must have been the adreneline, playing in front of at least two dozen people, not including the white kid with the dreadlocks popping in and out of the bong shop next door.

The house drums were a ford kit. I think these are a keller shelled boutique brand. All I used were the 12 and 14" toms, as I could not reach the 16, and it sounded kind of poopy anyway.

It gets even better.

Our first post gig jam that I was so worried about, we nailed those same seven songs as though we had played them since puberty. My only complaint with this whole thing was that I did not get to play my own drums.

That has now changed.

We moved the jam to my house. We had our first jam in my man room on Monday, and I got to play MY drums. Playing my old familiars seemed to give my confidence a boost. We sounded really good, at least from my point of view.

All in all, this is going very well.

Barry

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
Glad it's going well mate and that you get to play your own kit. I seem to be able to go into my own world more on a familiar kit if you understand my meaning. I recently got a new kit and I'm still not fully settled in yet as I was on my old starter set.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
glad to hear your gig went so well. i know what you mean about playing other people's kits. they're almost never as good as your own, and they feel awkward and goofy. i'm often in that situation myself. i guess that's just part of the deal if you're a drummer. i mean, how often to you hear about a trumpet player having to play someone else's horn? never!

baz

Silver Member
...thanks gaz, dairyman.

I don't mind playing on other peoples kits, but now that this is looking like it might go long term, I want to be as comfortable, and confidant as I can. I have been playing my kit in the four by four for so long now I think that I play by habit as much as anything. Now that we have had a few months together, we are tightening up, and I am getting a little more adventerous in my playing.

Barry

W

wy yung

Very cool thread. I enjoyed it very much.

Well done Baz. Keep up the good work.

aydee

Platinum Member
Barry, it really is a great sight to see you up there on a stage, with a band, performing in front of people, you looking happy, the mustache looking happy..nothing could be better..

Glad things are working out on the musical front, bud, its lifeblood.

baz

Silver Member
...my moustache is the source of all my evil powers.

and thank you all once again.

It is nice to have a bunch of cyber buddies to share all of this with. Deep down I have always felt like one of those guys that buys a harley and parks it all year except for the week in the summer where he loads it into a trailer, hauls it a thousand miles, then rides the five miles from the campground to the party.

I am trying to work on some playing credability. This band presents a golden opportunity. It is every thing that I always said I was looking for in a social/musical thing. Two of the guys live here in Sherwood Park, which is where I grew up, and live now. The other guy lives in Beaumont, which is about a half an hour drive from here. We were jamming at a friends house in south east Edmonton, which equalled the driving burdon for all, but now it makes more sense to jam at my house. Also, I can play a different drum/cymbal combo untill I find the perfect set up for our sound, although I will likely just wank around on a few different combos and go back to the old familiars.

I am still looking at taking some lessons. It frustrates me that in my head, I can hear how a drum part should sound, but I cant translate that through my hands and feet. I am working on it, but I think that I could definatly use some help.

Once again, thank you all for all of your support, I really do appreciate it.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...another gig lined up for October 30.

We are going to play at the Beaumont Blues Festival Volunteer appreciation blast.

We have to learn ten songs to round out our portion of the evening, so jam sched has been bumped up to two nights a week.

This is the kit that I will be playing. It is a DW classic, 22x14, 12x8, 14x14, 14x5. I traded, my tiger ash dubs, my pearls, and a few bucks.d There is a 16x16" floor tom as well, but I like how tight and punchy the 12 and 14 sound. These drums have a nice warm boom, but they also have a lot more projection than my other dubs.

Barry

Last edited:

baz

Silver Member
Good luck Baz. Are all those drums yours?
...Thanks wy.

Yes, those drums are all mine. I am culling the herd a little, and have gotten rid of a couple of kits. It's funny that now I am playingon a regular basis, I don't need as much stuff.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...the highs and the lows.

The euphoria of Monday has been replaced with the reality of Thursday. We did a run through of some of the new songs that we are working on. I was not happy with my playing, but it was the same not happy that I felt when we first started learning the songs that we have pretty much nailed by now.

I think that it is safe to say that our weekly jam has officially morphed into band practice.

Barry

W

wy yung

...the highs and the lows.

The euphoria of Monday has been replaced with the reality of Thursday. We did a run through of some of the new songs that we are working on. I was not happy with my playing, but it was the same not happy that I felt when we first started learning the songs that we have pretty much nailed by now.

I think that it is safe to say that our weekly jam has officially morphed into band practice.

Barry
Mate I wouldn't worry. It'll be alright on the night. ;-)

baz

Silver Member
...tonight's the night.

We have our second gig as the 19:00 to 10:30 slot at the Beaumont Blues Festival Volunteer Appreciation/Halloween party.

We have been doing some pretty intense work outs for the past month, but I think we are ready. I am really looking forward to this as it will be our biggest thing to date. There has been some tension at times, but overall we have managed to keep a pretty good grip on our egos, and our sense of humor. We have also been recording our practices, which in itself has been a humbling experience.

I will post some pictures and comments after the gig, and hopefully I will have something to add to the "Your Playing" page.

Wish me luck.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...our hour and fifteen minutes went vwey well last night.

Butit went all too fast. We did our fourteen songs, a few mistakes, but no train wrecks. This was for a Blues Fest Volunteer appreciation/Halloween party. There were three bands with us being the second act. All three drummers used my kit, as I wanted to play them, plus I also wanted to hear how they sounded from the audience. They sounded great, as I knew they would. The sound man and the drummer from the main act raved about them.

I wore my favorite Newfie band tee shirt and my Soviet era standard miltary issue winter hat and went as Great Big CCCP. (the Canadians should get that joke provided they are at least thirty years of age)

We worked very hard to nail down the songs, almost to the point that we were getting sick of them, and each other. It is going to be a little anti climactic, and a lot more laid back for the next few weeks. Not having a gig to work towards will allow us to work out more new material at a nice laid back pace.

I think it is safe to say that we are no longer five guys jamming, we are a band.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...the budgies are comming.

Tonight will be our first get together since the halloween gig. Last time we had a first get together after a gig, the jam went very well, but I gave credit to the after glow of losing my budginity.

I winder how tonight will go.

We have crested a hill with this last gig. We had an hour and fifteen minutes, which meant we had to cram hard to learn ten to twelve songs, and have them crowd ready in a six week span. There were times where we started getting sick of each other,and egos began to surfce in the shallows. The gig went very well, but sadly, all too quick.

This whole band experience has been a real eye opener. Sure, we are in it for fun, but I am starting to develop a semi serious streak. I am really getting kicked in the ass with my limitations, and the fun is in danger of being replaced with frustration. I think now would be a good time to start taking lessons.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...it was a good night.

We did a few songs, made a few mistakes, did not care, played through them, had a few beers,(American Miller High Life, the Champaigne of Beers that you can not get in my little Canadian corner, but my wife was gracious enough to pick up for me when she, and a bus load of north eastern Alberta prairie housewives invaded Spokane, armed with credit, and wish lists, but that is a whole other thread), listened to a few songs that we are thinking of doing.....

I suggested two songs by Ten CC, Good Morning Judge, and Rubber Bullets. I would be happy to do either one.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...hola dot comrades

On Monday night our practice turned into Beatlemania. I have always been afraid of Beatle tunes because of the reverence that I have for Ringo, We did Hey Bulldog, Daytripper, I dig a Pony, Dear Prudence, One after Nine-0-Nine, I've just Seen A Face, and Taxman.
We will likely keep a few of these, as they are so fun to do, and surprisingly enough, not as intimidating as I had always thought.

We are really starting to get a good feel for each other, but my drumming needs a little more imagination. I find myself playing it safe more often than not, which makes my drumming a little boring and formulaic. When we start off, we noodle around for a while, which allows me to go a little nutty. I sometimes forget that I just have to keep steady, and simple, choosing instead to throw in the odd tourettes fill, and gratuitous ride cymbal wankery. The music that we do does not need me to go all Kieth Moon on it, I have to keep reminding myself.

We have done a few rough recordings, and I hope to add a little more polish before I put anything up on this sight. We have also changed our practice night to Thursday to accomodate our harmonica player. I am not sure if he is willing, or can commit to the band, or if he will be our Billy Preston. Thursdays have other advantages as my Fridays at work are usually pretty laid back and low stress. That will allow us to go a little later.

Barry

theindian

Dig a Pony is a great tune. A little more obscure than most Beatle tunes. I used to play in a cover group that did that one. It always got a good reaction from the crowd though.

baz

Silver Member
Dig a Pony is a great tune. A little more obscure than most Beatle tunes. I used to play in a cover group that did that one. It always got a good reaction from the crowd though.
...Thanks Indian.

Let it Be has always been my favorite Beatle album, and Dig a Pony is a perfect song for the group that I play with.

What started out as a practice turned into a dyslexic version of a Beatle tribute. Paul was John and Brent was George and James was Paul and we were all togetherrrrr.

I was the walrus koo koo ka chooooooo........

Barry