Dear Diary.

baz

Silver Member
Great thread man. I hope it works out however is best for you. You are a little insane I think and as long as these guys don't have white coats and a giant butterfly net, it sounds promising!
...thanks TFIT.

I am not insane, but I am.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...Hola once again dot comrades.

I have had a little more time to reflect on last night, so I thought I would share.

As I said, these guys were really laid back, intelligent, and funny. They spent a good deal of the evening picking on each other, then as the evening progressed, they started picking on me. It was all good natured, and I gave as good as I got. It turns out that one of the guitar players is a good friend of a guy that I have known since elementary school. Small worlds make for great ice breakers.

When we started playing, it was a you start and I will follow, for the first few songs. We were all a little rusty, and these guys were pretty good about me changing the groove, dynamics, or feel as we all tried to lock in. They were very supportive, stating that they knew the songs, so it was a matter of working out the rust and remebering the riffs, where for me, I had to learn the songs from scratch. I explained to them that for the songs I did not know, I would try to find what sounded good to me, but if in that search they heard something that sounded better to them to tell me and I would go that way. They were also very good about pauses, breaks, changes, bridges, and the other quirks of the songs, making sure that they gave me plenty of warning for each. I think that these guys will be very easy to work with, but I have a lot of work to do so that they do not have to spend too much time tutoring me instead of concentrating on their parts.

Gear wise, the house drums were pretty nice. I have never played a Peavey kit before, and I was impressed with the toms.(14x10 rack, 16x16 floor) They were very warm and boomy, just the way I like them. The snare sounded pretty good through the mix, but the bass drum left a little to be desired. Next time I am going to bring my own pedal, which will help. At some point I would like to bring one of my kits, probably my black oyster dubs. I knew that they would have a little more horse power than I have played with lately, so in choosing my cymbals, I wanted something bright, which was my 18" aaxplosion crash, a killer bell, 20" el sabor ride, loud warm crash with sustain, 18" hh med, and sloshy hats with a bit of sizzle, 14" HH fusion with a drum key in one of the speed holes. These were a good choice, and I got a few compliments on their sound.

...this just in.

It looks like the once a month open stage for the middle aged that I got involved in last summer has been resurected, so I have another jam this Friday. This is the group that meets in the converted rural school house outside of the beautifull bustling metropolis of Tofield Alberta. This gig is almost a direct oposite to the new thing as it is a low volume wrists and brushes night as opposed to the higher energy sticks and arms jam. I am feeling very fortunate and gereatfull that I am getting more opportunities to play out. If this keeps up, I may have to give up my sit on the couch and do nothing nights.

Barry

Last edited:
T

TFITTING942

I may have to give up my sit on the couch and do nothing nights.

That's a tough night to give up. Right behind "are you going to finish that? " night and " could you grab me another beer?" night. They all seem to fall in with "where is the remote?" night.

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
I may have to give up my sit on the couch and do nothing nights.

That's a tough night to give up. Right behind "are you going to finish that? " night and " could you grab me another beer?" night. They all seem to fall in with "where is the remote?" night.
The best kind of nights.

Glad to hear it went well Baz and the best of luck in the future with the group. (I'm a 'Gaz' by the way. Didn't realise that shortening names with a 'z' had crossed over the Atlantic)

The Colonel

Silver Member
I want to hear more about the "small doses person" - fascinating! Examples please! With that mustache, I'd want to be around you at all times too. Can we really fault the guy?

and while I'm on "mustache", I think instead of 2020202020202020 to fill the character count, you are now required to write "mustachemustachemustache".

Glad things seem to be going well!

baz

Silver Member
The best kind of nights.

Glad to hear it went well Baz and the best of luck in the future with the group. (I'm a 'Gaz' by the way. Didn't realise that shortening names with a 'z' had crossed over the Atlantic)
...Hey gaz.

Years ago i used to post on drumset.com under the name B.Michael. There was an Austrailian Babe named pearl girl, and she would call me bazza. I thought it was Aussie slang for bastard but she told me it was in fact slang for Barry. The name stuck.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
I want to hear more about the "small doses person" - fascinating! Examples please! With that mustache, I'd want to be around you at all times too. Can we really fault the guy?

and while I'm on "mustache", I think instead of 2020202020202020 to fill the character count, you are now required to write "mustachemustachemustache".

Glad things seem to be going well!
...Thanks Colonel.

When has one of my posts ever been less than twenty characters?

small dose people should come with a warning label stating "prolonged exposure may lead to anger, bad manners, and in extreme cases, violence".

Small dose people are the types that pop over unannounced, overstay their welcome, eat your food, drink your booze, hit on the females in your family, leave skid marks in your toilet, then leave with a bunch of your CDs. We all know them and on occasion, we are them.

In some cultures they are the guy behind the counter at the video/comic book/collectable/gas bar/convenience store that picks up on an off hand remark and then condescendingly corrects the inacuracies of your statement.

They are the friend of your wife/girlfriend whose life is a neverending pity party straight out of a top fourty country radio station play list, who when you finally lose control and tell her to get her poop together and stop being so damn depressing, blames her problems on you and that b****h wife of yours for being such an insensitive stuck up bunch of arrogant snobs.

A small dose person is one that you lend money to in the hope that they will cross the street to avoid you afterwards.

A small dose person is a guy who posts these self absorbed touchy feely threads about starting up with a new group and has the gaul to call it advice. Those guys are the worst.

Barry

T

TFITTING942

...Thanks Colonel.

Small dose people are the types that pop over unannounced, overstay their welcome, eat your food, drink your booze, hit on the females in your family, leave skid marks in your toilet, then leave with a bunch of your CDs. We all know them and on occasion, we are them.

Barry
Hey, those skidmarks were there before I went in. And your sister was hitting on ME, not the other way around. Also, those were my CD's in the first place. And as far as your food and booze, what do you want me to do, sit here and starve?

dairyairman

Platinum Member
I am not a musical whore, I am a musical concubine.
that's pretty funny! can i use that?

glad to hear you had a good night!

i started up with a new band last night too! so far i haven't had to whore myself, and there don't seem to be any "small dose" people involved who might leave skid marks in my toilet.

baz

Silver Member
that's pretty funny! can i use that?

glad to hear you had a good night!

i started up with a new band last night too! so far i haven't had to whore myself, and there don't seem to be any "small dose" people involved who might leave skid marks in my toilet.
...Thanks dairyman.

Feel free to use whatever is usable from any of my posts. Also glad to hear about your new band. Keep us informed as to your progress.

Barry

jjmason777

You are one of the funniest guys on this forum, Baz. Keep us posted on the new band, I am interested because I joined a new band (now I'm in 2 bands) recently myself.

Oh, and your wife says "Hi".

baz

Silver Member
...did the acoustic jam last night.

It was another wrists and brushes evening,and it felt so good to play "my" drums. I may have to see about taking a kit to the Monday jam from now on, as I am definately more comfortable, and confident on my gear.

It looks like the ranks have thinned a little, but that may have been a good thing. There were only four of us, but it was the more contemporary four, so the songs we did were a little more up tempo, and fun to play. Normally, this group is pretty diverse in age, and musical preferences, ranging from old country, gospell, a little y'allternative, and a bit of folk rock. In the time that I have been involved, some of us have developed a bit of musical chemistry, and there is potential to turn that into a pretty decnt group. Last night was another step in that direction.

I am definatley a lot more comfortable with these guys and gals, and I can feel it in my playing. I am looking forward to getting to that point with the Monday night full horse power, amps turned to eleven jam. Both gigs will be like dog years in my musical evolution, which should be an overall benefit to both.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...Last night was round two with the new group.

It went very well, in fact it was one of those all too rare nights where I felt more like a musician than just a drummer. Once again I brought my cymbals, but I also brought my pedal, and the new Premier snare. I tweaked the kit a little, and it sounded great. I felt pretty confident throughout the evening, but I kept my wankery to a minimum. I think that I fit in pretty well with these guys, and they gave me a few back pats, and nods, right after they grossed me out for not bringing beer.

It's funny how having a steady jam, plus the acoustic jam has helped to rid me of a lot of rustration, which I think is reflected in my playing as of late. I am still thinking of taking some lessons, as I am worried that this new found enthusiasm and confidence will only last as long as the music is still somewhat fresh. After a few more go rounds playing the same songs, my playing will probably become a little more automated.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...round three.

Last night was round three in this new musical adventure of mine. I should have nicknamed myself Amtrack, as I had more than my share of train wrecks. It didn't seem to bother the other guys, as we were working on fleshing out the songs that we had practiced so tentatively the first couple of go rounds. Most of my screw ups were from working the changes, coming in and out of fills, and stopping for breaks on time. I felt like I was playing catch up on some of the songs, while others went just fine. In spite of my less than stellar performance, I felt pretty good.

I felt good because from practice to practice, I can hear an improvement in our overall sound . We all seem to be more relaxed with each other, and as the "new" guy, I am starting to get a better feel for each guys style. I don't want to start getting complacent, as I know that I am just one eager, available, solid drummer away from being replaced. Getting the gig was relatively easy, keeping it will be the challenge.

Once again, so far so good.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...it's hard to believe that two months have passed since I started playing with these guys,

We have been jamming regularily, once a week minimum, and we have even played our first gig. I have come to the sad conclusion that I am no where near the drummer that I thought I was, but it doesn't seem to matter. These guys have become my friends as well as band mates. I am on my way out for our first post gig jam, and I am curious to see how that will go.

Barry

arthurk1

...thank you my friends.

No worries about any fireworks displays from me. If they want a ratamacue, they will have to settle for a barbeque.

That is a great quote. Yes just do your best and be friendly. I just started a new band one week ago and these guys are all top players and I kid you not, after the second gig the bass player after the show says to me, " You should play more with your wrist and not your arms so you don't get tired and slow the tempo down"! WOW, it was hard to swallow that. Luckily the rest of the band thinks I rock! Hang in there man,

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
...it's hard to believe that two months have passed since I started playing with these guys,

We have been jamming regularily, once a week minimum, and we have even played our first gig. I have come to the sad conclusion that I am no where near the drummer that I thought I was, but it doesn't seem to matter. These guys have become my friends as well as band mates. I am on my way out for our first post gig jam, and I am curious to see how that will go.

Barry
I've missed this. A great read. You need to update more damn you!!! :p

Concrete Pete

Hey Baz,

You sound like me 2 years ago-- I gave up drums for a long time and decided that I was gonna be Eddie VanHalen's replacement on harp. Well, I got really, really damn good on harmonica, and was smokin' hot. How many Harminica players have you heard of that can do all but 2 of Van Halens lead guitar parts? (Me neither!)

Trouble was that I really missed my first love (drumming) and got back into it. I SUCKED at first. then I sucked less. Then I bought myself a drum set and went NUTS on it for a long time. My worst fear was that at my age (52) I'd never be the badass drummer that I used to be.

Fast forward 2 years...... Dedication, practice, being in 4 bands, becoming (damn near) obcessed with performing, making music, and entertaining people took hold.
I NEVER look back, no regrets, no apologies. I am by no means the best drummer on this forum, but I sure love doing what I do, and seeing progress now and then.

Baz, my advice to you is DO IT, if your heart and soul is in it, you will get better and better--beyond your dreams. If your heart and soul is NOT in it, just consider it a hobby.
your heart and soul can always "catch up" later, brother!

Cheers,
C. P.