Dean's new toy

Wow! A sunny day in England.

Holy crap on a cracker. ROI = 2050. It looks like a New Jersey diner.

Man you really don't cut corners. You continue to impress me with your dedication.

Is he building a new shop around that thing? One piece stainless steel shells are on their way.

I was expecting to see a drum. :(

What is a CNC router? I could probably google it and find out, but if everyone googles everything, questions will go extinct. I am just doing my part.

Andy, can I play with it when Dean is done? Aww, Cmon Ands! Pleeeeeeeeze? Pretty pretty pretty please with a cherry on top? I'll walk the dog....I'll ...I'll take out the trash...Come on pleeeeeze?

No fair. Dean gets all the fun. Dumb ole Dean.

Where's my cape....

I was expecting to see a drum. :(

What is a CNC router? I could probably google it and find out, but if everyone googles everything, questions will go extinct. I am just doing my part.

Computerised Numerical Control.

What it means is that you can program a three-axis router in advance and the machine will do the first stage of shaping the material. They're used a lot in guitar manufacture for cutting out and putting the routes into bodies. It helps you build more quickly and potentially more consistently, provided the CNC machine is programmed and maintained properly.

Great move, Andy.

You're gonna use this to make acrylic shells and e-kits, right? Right???

Thank you for your (expected) humorous replies ;)

Man you really don't cut corners. You continue to impress me with your dedication.
Full disclosure: We started reformatting the Guru drums business structure a couple of years ago, & this represents the final phase. Essentially, there are two businesses. Dean owns & runs the shell shop in Teeside, whereas I run the finishing shop in Herefordshire & own the majority share in Guru Drums. At the finishing shop, we take care of everything other than making raw shells (Drum building, design, parts sourcing/manufacture, commercial, demonstration room, etc). At Dean's shell shop, he crafts the raw shells, but also takes on other carpentry work. Dean has relocated his shop, doubled it's size, & invested heavily in equipment like this. There's no way the Guru drum business could come close to justifying facilities like this on a stand alone basis. One day maybe, but for now - no. We think it's a viable direction, & Guru Drums gets facilities that are out of reach of the small builder. Bought new, this is a $300,000 machine (of course, Dean sourced this as a recent but used machine in immaculate condition).

Thank you for your (expected) humorous replies ;)

Full disclosure: We started reformatting the Guru drums business structure a couple of years ago, & this represents the final phase. Essentially, there are two businesses. Dean owns & runs the shell shop in Teeside, whereas I run the finishing shop in Herefordshire & own the majority share in Guru Drums. At the finishing shop, we take care of everything other than making raw shells (Drum building, design, parts sourcing/manufacture, commercial, demonstration room, etc). At Dean's shell shop, he crafts the raw shells, but also takes on other carpentry work. Dean has relocated his shop, doubled it's size, & invested heavily in equipment like this. There's no way the Guru drum business could come close to justifying facilities like this on a stand alone basis. One day maybe, but for now - no. We think it's a viable direction, & Guru Drums gets facilities that are out of reach of the small builder. Bought new, this is a $300,000 machine (of course, Dean sourced this as a recent but used machine in immaculate condition).

Your in Herefordshire right? Here in Worcestershire we are still using the old GBP, I had no idea I would have to change currency on my next visit to Hereford. When did this happen???

Your in Herefordshire right? Here in Worcestershire we are still using the old GBP, I had no idea I would have to change currency on my next visit to Hereford. When did this happen???
Give us a chance, we've only just progressed from Groats, Farthings, & Crowns to Guineas!!!!!

Ok, ya got me :) I quote here in $ sometimes because it's easier than answering the frequent question "how much is that in UDS Andy".

Indeed - epic reply :)

Give us a chance, we've only just progressed from Groats, Farthings, & Crowns to Guineas!!!!!

Ok, ya got me :) I quote here in $ sometimes because it's easier than answering the frequent question "how much is that in UDS Andy".

Indeed - epic reply :)

Anyways. Nice machine (I love machines, I do) That baby should stay true without much tinkering. Its so big and solid that movement or vibration should never compromise accuracy once set up.

Anyways. Nice machine (I love machines, I do) That baby should stay true without much tinkering. Its so big and solid that movement or vibration should never compromise accuracy once set up.
We go heavy on all our machines. My radial arm drill press weighs 1/3 ton, & have you seen the size of Dean's lathe? :)

Attachments

• All shells 1000.jpg
    All shells 1000.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 350
That is indeed a rather large instrument. I'm glad somebody asked what it was, and that somebody else explained what it does. Seems like a very exciting development for Guru indeed.

Wow! A sunny day in England.

And even more extraordinarily, that's in the North East.

I saw what DW was doing when they bought their CNC for their super-solid series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaIJRy7zlXo

Will be nice to see what Andy does with his. I have a feeling that Andy's setup may even meet the proper health and safety requirements, unlike the terribly dangerous open setup we see in the DW video (No plexiglass shield, no vacuum, hand held compressed air line, WTF?!?)

Back