Daytime practice vs Nightime gigging

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
For those here who practice during the daytime, but most gigs are at night (sans studio work), do you find yourself getting tired by the time the evening gig happens?
I wonder if practicing at night may transfer better to playing live at the same time of day, it seems the body would be more used to it.
Thoughts?

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I usually practice early evening and gig from 9-1, which is later than I am usually awake. I think the adrenaline of the gig prevents me from feeling tired during the gig. Now the next day is another story!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Early in our gigging careers, we used to practice right before we packed up all the gear for the gig.

As time went on and we got more comfortable with playing out, we kinda stopped doing that. We usually practice a day ahead of time, and don't practice the day of the show. It sounds weird, but going through the motions of the whole show before we played the show tended to take some of the creativity and excitement out of the live playing. Maybe made us over-think things, or something? Maybe it's because we've literally played the songs thousands of times and playing them right before we play them "for real" took some of the little bit of excitement left.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I don't have any trouble making it through late night gigs. My trouble is, I tend to wake up early no matter what time I go to bed, and I feel like crap for days after I've lost so much sleep.

That's one of the big reasons I don't gig regularly any more.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I remember Gordy Marshall saying that while on tour with the Moody Blues, he'll try to get a nap in between sound check and the show, drinking a 5 hr. energy drink also. Of course that's a much different scenario then hauling your own gear through the kitchen to set up at a hotel or a lounge expected to play an hour later.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't mind the daytime thing and night time playing. Practice isn't gigging anyway, 2 totally different goals.

Magenta

Platinum Member
I don't mind the daytime thing and night time playing. Practice isn't gigging anyway, 2 totally different goals.
Yup, this. I practise during the day (unless I wake up at 2 a.m. when Mr Madge is away, and if I can't get back to sleep I go and practise). I'm usually in bed and asleep by 22:30.

But when I'm gigging, and the adrenalin is flowing, I can keep going easily for as long as necessary.

The following day is a write-off :/

8Mile

Platinum Member
I don't know about the day/night thing, but I don't do a full-blown practice the day of a gig. I don't find it beneficial. I warm up on a pad for 10 minutes within an hour of downbeat to get my hands warm. That makes a noticeable difference. But in my experience, it's the practice you do in the weeks and days leading up to the gig that you'll reap the rewards for on the day of the show.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Never thought about it.

But I only really practiced a lot during the day as a teen.

In my 20's, there was a lot of night practice.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I used to play in bands that practiced 3 times a week so we'd never practice on the day of a show, but in recent years I've been in bands that only practice once a week, so we often show up at the space and do a quick run-thru of the set once before loading out.

I've had really good luck doing this. For some people it's a taboo practice because it's somehow bad luck, or bad form. But in my experience it helps get the songs in our heads before playing them for people. It doesn't even matter if that run-thru sucks since the whole point is only to prime our brains with the material. It works similar to a first time set run-thru at a regular practice, which is almost always a lot rougher than the 2nd time through the set.

But for just practicing the instrument, I really like first thing in the morning when my brain is fresh, as opposed to feeling drained and numb by the chaos and clutter of the day's events - though, it's a good escape from that at the end of the day, too.

Basically, I can practice any time of day (or all day!) and be happy.

geezer

My band practices at night, but only once a week only. I practice at home day or night - definitely prefer daytime practice as I can really bash away and not worry too much about neighbors. I pretty much play at all hours of the day, albeit at lower volume when it's late so as not to be a crap neighbor. I never have any problem staying alert for nighttime gigs, playing energizes me, to the point that it's difficult to sleep when I eventually get home after a show.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
It really helps me if I practice the songs before a gig. I don't have to play the entire song, just refresh my memory. I get energized during a gig.

FreDrummer

Silver Member
I usually practice early evening and gig from 9-1, which is later than I am usually awake. I think the adrenaline of the gig prevents me from feeling tired during the gig. Now the next day is another story!
^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

On normal nights, I am asleep by 10:30, but at the 9:00 - 1:00 gigs the adrenaline takes over.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
No not at all. Practice doesn't really take it out of me, especially if broken up over the day.

If I'm pressed for time to practice but I know I have a gig that night, that's my ''get out of practice"' ticket.