David Garibaldi & TOP

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
As you may have heard, Tower of Power are touring Europe at the moment for their 50th anniversary, and they started the tour in a remote place of Switzerland called Fully.

I was at the concert, but I also attended a "band masterclass" that took place on the same day at 11am.
The masterclass was fine, they played specific parts of tunes, the whole band and also sometimes with just sections of the band. Emilio Castillo would address specific musical information as well as anecdotes about the band or about the tunes.
The band is tight, so go see them if you have an opportunity. They recorded two CDs of all new material, the first one is due out in June, and the second one in one year.
I was glad to have an occasion to briefly chat with David Garibaldi, and to give him a copy of my Time Manipulation Drum Book. I hope he likes it!

Cheers
Alain

Attachments

trickg

Silver Member
I think he will like the book. I say that because based on the articles he used to publish in Modern Drummer magazine, he enjoys rhythmic permutations - he appears to enjoy the academic aspect of taking certain rhythmic figures, and altering them, or moving them around to create other effects.

That's pretty cool that you got to hear TOP and meet David Garibaldi. He's one of my drumming heroes and I'd love to get to meet him someday.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Garibaldi is cool. Although he has got to be the squarest guy I’ve ever met. I wanted to ask him how a local milkman could become so funky ;)

Mongrel

Silver Member
Very happy to see Garibaldi is out and playing after getting hit by a train a little over a year ago...

Must have been great not only to hear the band but to meet him up close!

Supernoodle

Congratulations on getting your book to him! David Garibaldi wrote the best drumset book of all time IMO: Future Sounds...

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Yes, I see no reason why he wouldn't like it at all, and maybe he will even get excited about it!
David has been an influence on my drumming for sure, both with his playing, his MD articles and later his books and VHS/DVD. My section on beat displacements is another approach, and may be a good introduction to more complicated concepts.

I had met him twice already. The first time in 1982 at Donte's, a club in North Hollywood. Although I know he cannot remember this encounter, he was very nice.
The second time, I met in Paris in 1985. He remembered the event when I told him about it the other day. We were both working with a singer on a big TV talk show. He was with Gino Vanelli and I was with Chris de Burgh. We chatted and I told him I was practicing his stuff from MD. At that time I even had the first two bars of "On The Serious Side" as a welcome message on my answering machine! I was pretty excited to meet him, as you can guess.
We were scheduled near the end of the show, and after we played the producers said there was no time left for Gino Vanelli. They had waited for the whole evening for nothing. Weird moment!
He is very nice and I also wish you can also get to meet him someday!

I think he will like the book. I say that because based on the articles he used to publish in Modern Drummer magazine, he enjoys rhythmic permutations - he appears to enjoy the academic aspect of taking certain rhythmic figures, and altering them, or moving them around to create other effects.

That's pretty cool that you got to hear TOP and meet David Garibaldi. He's one of my drumming heroes and I'd love to get to meet him someday.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Yes, and the (new) bass player was also hit by the train. He has recovered as well and is touring with the band.

Very happy to see Garibaldi is out and playing after getting hit by a train a little over a year ago...

Must have been great not only to hear the band but to meet him up close!

Jared_Falk

Hey everyone, I thought I'd post this here as we asked David to share his story about the accident and he recently wrote a piece for the Drumeo Beat.

David has become a good friend throughout the years I've known him. I saw him play in Seattle earlier this year and was blown away by his feel, technique, and attention to detail. He is still working on his craft even after 50 years of a successful career. Very inspirational.

https://www.drumeo.com/beat/finding-moments-of-ignition