Cymbal cancer warnings

fess

I was just looking at some Meinl cymbals on Mycymbal.com and I'm seeing some of them have cancer warnings on them. I saw the same thing on a few Zildjians also. What's up with that?

Seems everything causes cancer these days. I figure my keyboard will eventually give me finger cancer, at this point.

That's why I play Sabian: cancer-free since '83!

Apparently, according to the warnings, they're only dangerous in California, so no worries here.

Apparently, according to the warnings, they're only dangerous in California, so no worries here.

Yeah. This has more to do with companies selling product in/to people in California. Search "Proposition 65".

Sabian is not expempt...
https://www.chanler.com/cases/archive/leeman-v-sabian-ltd

Edit: Interesting to search "Proposition 65 drums", or "Proposition 65 cymbals". A lot of companies have included the required blurbage on their websites.

Last edited:
The wood we use at work building speaker cabinets all has to be formaldehyde free in order to appease Proposition 65. So any Yamaha, ElectroVoice, or Peavey cabinet you purchase that comes from my facility won't give you cancer.

As I typed this I just can't believe the absurdity of it.

Most of my cymbals are from the 70s. Should I worry? :)

Don't worry I bought a Ludwig throne that has a cancer warning on it too. (California as well I think)

As long as I don't set fire to it I'm OK :)

I grew up around that much asbestos I'm hoping I have an immunity.

I noticed this not on a cymbal yet, but on my MSR Alpine Stowaway Pot.

Yes, it's apparently a California thing.

Proposition 65, officially known as the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, was enacted as a ballot initiative in November 1986. The proposition protects the state's drinking water sources from being contaminated with chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm, and requires businesses to inform Californians about exposures to such chemicals.

Proposition 65 requires the state to maintain and update a list of chemicals known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity.

It's on everything that even has a remote possibility of being sold in California

I thought this ground has already been documented -everything gives you cancer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDAkmfoAgA. Whats interesting is things like "Phorbol esters" used to stimulate PKC isozymes has been labeled a carcinogen, yet now it's being tested to induce cell death or irreversible growth inhibition in prostate cancer and lung cancer. So a cause can also be a cure-oh the irony.

Ever since they were giving lab rats the equivalent of 13 diet pepsi's a day, all things do cause cancer

I'm surprised that babies born in California don't pop out with the prop 65 label.

There must be a shortage of cymbals in Israel, because they have he lowest cancer rate!

I love how we like putting warnings on everything to make ourselves feel better. Well...you were warned, what can I say! One of the biggest reasons cancer is so high in some countries is crap food and sugar! Ever since this discovery, we have even more crap food and sugar.

Haven’t heard of a case where the prop 65 label has stopped cancer yet. Seems cancer won’t get the message!

The ink that they print the actual Prop 65 label is reportedly guilty of causing cancer too!

:)

There must be a shortage of cymbals in Israel, because they have he lowest cancer rate!

I love how we like putting warnings on everything to make ourselves feel better. Well...you were warned, what can I say! One of the biggest reasons cancer is so high in some countries is crap food and sugar! Ever since this discovery, we have even more crap food and sugar.

Haven’t heard of a case where the prop 65 label has stopped cancer yet. Seems cancer won’t get the message!

They have better lawyers....

I own a business in aerospace metals.

The cymbal must contain a certain amount of heavy metals, such as chromium, nickel, or cadmium.

Depending on the region and the attorneys they might either have to or want to make that fact known

The forms of metal in a cymbal are obviously non-hazardous, they are not ionized and dissolved in water.

It’s overkill but some might say better safe than sorry

I was just looking at some Meinl cymbals on Mycymbal.com and I'm seeing some of them have cancer warnings on them. I saw the same thing on a few Zildjians also. What's up with that?

As Carson used to say ,welcome to the land of the fruits and nuts.

I lived on and off in Ca for many many years and the loonies that have too much time on their hands keep on thinking up more and more bizarre ways to control and micromanage the public's life.

In Berkeley ,it's 10 cents tax per oz extra on any drink sweetened with sugar.25 cents on any disposable drinking cups at restaurants and banning plastic straws.

No Happy Meals allowed to be sold in San Francisco and the same goes for gold fish at pet stores.

And here's a street sign that is right in front of a marijuana dispensary in Berkeley.

Attachments

• o.jpg.png
    o.jpg.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 146
Back