Cutting Toms to Make Them Shallower?

aisikbay

Hello,

So I have really deep toms. They have a cool sound, however its so inconvenient. I was wondering if there was any certain way that I could cut the toms so that they are smaller in depth.

octatonic

If I was doing it here in the workshop I'd cut it on the bandsaw using a fence and then get one of my 2ft sanding discs on a flat surface and smooth the cut.

You then have to cut the bearing edges.

Last edited:

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Hello,

So I have really deep toms. They have a cool sound, however its so inconvenient. I was wondering if there was any certain way that I could cut the toms so that they are smaller in depth.
A lot depends on the lugs, what style they are, long (Hi Tension) or single (separate lugs top and bottom). What brand of drums are they?

Frank

Gold Member
You only want to do it at home if you have the right sawing tools. Otherwise, see if you can find a builder in your area.

I live not far from Precision Drum Co. They have done this for me a couple of times now - making a drum more shallow in seconds.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Here's a previous thread about it: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91769

It's not that hard to do, but it takes some time and tools.

You've got to strip all the hardware, figure out where new holes should be drilled for the lugs,
protect the finish around the cutting area, do the actual cut, make sure the cut surface is flat and square,
drill new lug holes; cut, sand and seal the bearing edge, and re-assemble everything.

If you don't know what you're doing, it's very possible to ruin the drum, or severely hurt yourself.
In that case, it's better to have it done by someone who's familiar with it.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
If the kit is of value to you, & you have to ask how to do it, it's probably best if you give the job to someone who's experienced in reworking drums and has the correct facilities.