Cutting through the mix

BassDriver

Silver Member
In the "Grooves" section of drummerworld.com, the kick for the song Bleed by Meshuggah is transcribed...

...I asked myself...how does anyone listen and transcribe through that wall of sound? Slowing the tempo down in Audacity didn't really help to make out the kick drums...

How do you cut through the mix?

BassDriver

Silver Member
Sometimes I listen to a song and hear some kind of subtley but the mix of other instruments makes it hard to hear (eg. the near-silent bell pattern in Reflection by Tool, impossible to play while playing everything else).

Perhaps a way of mixing the drum parts into focus?

Fiery

Silver Member
In the "Grooves" section of drummerworld.com, the kick for the song Bleed by Meshuggah is transcribed...

...I asked myself...how does anyone listen and transcribe through that wall of sound? Slowing the tempo down in Audacity didn't really help to make out the kick drums...

How do you cut through the mix?
I think the kick drums are very clear in that particular song. The fact that they're played in unison with very percussive sounding guitars is what's probably confusing you.

In general, it's just practice, listening to a particular type of music and learning what to listen for. I usually slow the songs down in Windows Media Player if I need to, and though it distorts the sound quite a bit, it tends to be clear enough. Oh, and if you think you've got it hard, try transcribing bass guitar parts in metal by ear ;)