Cutting My Own Bearing Edges...

cobamnator

What do I need?

Do they make some sort of "Router Table" that would work for this? Or would I need to build my own?

Does anybody here at drummerworld do their own edges? Is it worth it?

Can you make alot money doing it as a service?

HUdrummer

I'm not sure how you would do it, lok it up on youtube. And Im not to sure theres much business in the bearing edge cutting industry, but if your could do it right, and you lived near me id pay you to do it! :)

Nodiggie

Gold Member
What do I need?

Do they make some sort of "Router Table" that would work for this? Or would I need to build my own?

Does anybody here at drummerworld do their own edges? Is it worth it?

You need a routing table and chamfer bit. There are tons of videos on the Tube showing you how. There are also several members in here that make incredible drums and would be glad to help you. Contact Uniongoon, I know he would be an excellent resource as others. Good luck.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if anyone has gotten rich from it, but there are some people who offer re-edging as a part of their restoration/refurbishing services.

The thing is, there are MANY edges, and if you're going to market your services, you have to be able to answer questions from those who want to know what edge will give a certain sound. It's also up to you to know how different edges are affected by different shell materials and layups. Of course that comes with experience, and you'll need that in order to attract potential customers. A drummer who's serious about new edges is going to want someone who's been at it for a while and has a good reputation, they don't want to feel like a guinea pig at the expense of their shells.

My suggestion is to apprentice with someone who's been doing edge work, and learn from them before considering working on anyone's drums, even your own.

I've had some of my edges done, and I'll only go to an established craftsman, or one that he'd recommend. Right now, there's only one person I allow to modify my drums, and he works with Vinnie, Matt Chamberlain, Curt Bisquera, etc. With all due respect, I doubt I'd ever let someone just 'starting out' work on my gear.

Bermuda

eliRYO

Considering that you don't even know the equipment needed to cut them I would avoid trying to plunge head first into cutting edges without any practice if you are looking for a good result - meaning that you should NOT invest a whole bunch of money into everything at the get-go. Same thing with building a drum set, people make it sound simple but there are nuances that can make or break a set in terms of sound - with bearing edges being the single most important factor.

If you want to get involved, buy some crap shells and the equipment as cheaply as possible and practice as long as needed to understand how to do it properly.

If you want some edges cut look into Precision Drum Co., they supply parts and cut edges/shells.