Cut reso head

Npirsch

Anybody know what’s up with the big ol hole in the reso head on the bass drums?

Kinda looks like he just wanted the front hoops on but didn’t want the reso but but I’ve got no idea. Thinking about doing this to my reso cause it kinda looks rad and I like the effect of no front head.

Edit - not sure if I’m doing this picture insert thing right, copy and paste this link I guess https://goo.gl/images/9JTjXr

Last edited:

beatdat

Kinda looks like he just wanted the front hoops on but didn’t want the reso
That's often the reason why.

Keeping the hoops on protects the bearing edges. Some suggest it helps keep the drum round. I think it looks better than no reso at all. Plus, you don't have to worry about misplacing parts or damaging the hoop when it's not mounted.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
That's often the reason why.

Keeping the hoops on protects the bearing edges. Some suggest it helps keep the drum round. I think it looks better than no reso at all. Plus, you don't have to worry about misplacing parts or damaging the hoop when it's not mounted.
Yea, the bearing edge is an expensive problem to fix. And it’s so easy to accidentally dent if you’re setting up or tearing down or transporting the kit

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
Yes, it helps protect the bearing edge, and it also keeps the tension rods and lugs from vibrating. Although I see the lugs are still on all the tom reso side.

On the issue of sound, no reso head on the kick drum shortens the sustain for a much quicker punch, but with fewer low overtones. A method commonly used in studios.

The Van Halen brothers were not afraid of experimenting with their gear, and I would like to see photos of Alex in the studio recording tracks from Fair Warning.