Custom Drums

Raven Drums

What sizes are you looking for? For a four piece dependant on sizes and other choices, it can be done for $1,300 to $2,000.

kevdrummer28

What sizes are you looking for? For a four piece dependant on sizes and other choices, it can be done for $1,300 to $2,000.
I highly doubt it's possible, but feel free to prove me wrong:
(batt x reso)
Bass: 26x22
Snare: 14x8
Rack Tom: 14x10
Floor Tom: 18x16

Raven Drums

(batt x reso)
In those sizes with chrome hardware and any color lacquer finish, the base price is around $1,650.00, however, how do you want to mount the 14" tom and then there is head selection. Finer details get you a more accurate price.

Fishbones

Silver Member
(batt x reso)
Eh.. a 26x22 kick is going to sound like a faraway industrial accident. You won't be easily able to get a solid punch without mic'ing. And I don't know if you're gigging yet, but I find a 20x22 to be a hassle carrying into tight clubs and bas. A 26x22 will be a nightmare IMO. But if you have your heart set on it then go for it.

kevdrummer28

Eh.. a 26x22 kick is going to sound like a faraway industrial accident. You won't be easily able to get a solid punch without mic'ing. And I don't know if you're gigging yet, but I find a 20x22 to be a hassle carrying into tight clubs and bas. A 26x22 will be a nightmare IMO. But if you have your heart set on it then go for it.
In those sizes with chrome hardware and any color lacquer finish, the base price is around $1,650.00, however, how do you want to mount the 14" tom and then there is head selection. Finer details get you a more accurate price.
Raven, from where?

And I'm fine with a 26x22.

HUdrummer

26/22, holy crap. that would sound terrible. the bigest i would ever even consider going is 24/20, if i were you i would go with 22/20 that has the best sound. but its up to you...

kevdrummer28

26/22, holy crap. that would sound terrible. the bigest i would ever even consider going is 24/20, if i were you i would go with 22/20 that has the best sound. but its up to you...
It doesn't sound terrible if you know how to tune it and play it the way I do. And I've played on a 22x20 & a 24x22. But the only 26" I've played on was like 26x16 or 18

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I use a 20x26 as my main drum, and I get nothing but compliments from FOH guy's, other musicians, and my band mates love it. They do NOT want me to change it.
Just last Saturday, I hit the drum twice at sound check and the sound man said over the speakers "Oh, I'm in love".

For the OP, since I've had several deep bass drums, this is what I'll say--
20" is about the deepest I'd want to go.
Deeper might "look cool", but for me, the 20" depth has been a "magic size" (2-20x26's and a 20x28-- I also have a 16x26, an 18x26, and a 14x24).
One problem going deeper than 20 is finding a case.
The 20" depth still fits fine in the 18x26 Enduro case.

I can still put the D112 at the hole and not put it in the drum and get a great, full, solid, articulate sound (front of mic is in, up to where the mic on a straight stand doesn't hit the head). If it was deeper, I'd put it in the drum a little, but at 20" I don't have to.

It was inside the drum Saturday, but the mic (D112) was NOT pointed at the beater impact spot. I HATE "click", so I point it kinda toward the shell--a little more than half way. And, like I said, the FOH guy loved it. I get that no matter where I play these drums.
Med size rooms un-mic'd, or 2,500 seat theaters, up to 20,000 seat sheds.

It also records great--I've used it several times. PM me if you want to hear some samples.

IMO, because of the sound I get, I could use this in any style other than a Jazz setting. That's not to say I would use that depth drum in different style bands (sometimes the look doesn't fit), but I've used it to fill in for a friends cover band with no problem. They loved it as well.

It's all in how you set it up and play it.
The drawback is moving it, but for me, playing and hearing it make up for it.

One of my 20x26's is in the author pic.

Good luck, get what you want, and don't listen to the nay-sayers.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I'll agree with Hellwyck.
I won't say a "standard" or smaller size drum isn't going to sound good/great/whatever, but I do find it irritating when people just say "it'll sound terrible" regarding something that isn't the norm--and they may not have even ever seen a drum that big in person. Let alone played one, or heard one played.

Also, you don't have to play a larger drum hard for it to sound great. Hell, my 3 year old can hit my bass drum and it sounds great.

Like I said, it's all in how you set it up.

kevdrummer28

I'll agree with Hellwyck.
I won't say a "standard" or smaller size drum isn't going to sound good/great/whatever, but I do find it irritating when people just say "it'll sound terrible" regarding something that isn't the norm--and they may not have even ever seen a drum that big in person. Let alone played one, or heard one played.

Also, you don't have to play a larger drum hard for it to sound great. Hell, my 3 year old can hit my bass drum and it sounds great.

Like I said, it's all in how you set it up.
Well 2/3 of my fave drummers use a 26". One is actually a 26x24 and I loved the sound, and the other was like a 26x16-18 that I actually played on(I thought my bass foot had gone to heaven). And ya lol, drum transporting doesn't matter to me lol. Right before a gig, I can carry a million drums and I'd still be fine haha, just as long as I get to play 'em hahaha.