Creating a Band Logo?

fixxxer

My band has come to the realization recently that we need to create (or have someone create) a band logo. We want to have this, of course, in electronic form so that we can use it for our website, flyers, to have bass drum head made, etc.
I know there are companies that can create one for you, but I have no idea what the cost would be to have it done that way or how that process works?
Are there programs that you can create your own?
What is the easiest (cheapest) way to go about this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8Mile

Platinum Member
I don't have a lot of options to present to you, but I just went through the process of having a logo designed for my band. In my case, I dealt with my local drum shop. One of the guys who works there happens to be really good with graphic arts. He designed a whole bunch of samples and the band went through and basically narrowed the list down and we finally settled on one.

My shop also had the banner made with the logo and they provided me with the electronic image so I could order business cards (FedEx Kinkos has a feature where you upload the logo to their website and design your business cards online). Everything turned out great.

I don't know what kind of local shops you have around you, but it's worth a try. I'm sure others will chime in with some other options.

fixxxer

Thanks for the responses so far!
@ Fuo- lol! I'm afraid if it were left up to us to create, we would make it on the link you sent!

@MrPockets- Currently we are using comic sans (or is it arial?)! That's the problem! :) I assume Adobe Photoshop and GIMP 2 will allow us to create our own?

MaryO

Platinum Member
Know anyone who does reputable tattoos? Often these guys are pretty good artists and may be able to help you with a design, I'm currently having a friend of mine who owns a shop designing a logo for an event we're having. Kind of an off the wall suggestion but some times you have to think outside the box! Good luck!

MrPockets

Gold Member
Thanks for the responses so far!
@ Fuo- lol! I'm afraid if it were left up to us to create, we would make it on the link you sent!

@MrPockets- Currently we are using comic sans (or is it arial?)! That's the problem! :) I assume Adobe Photoshop and GIMP 2 will allow us to create our own?
Photoshop has lots of fonts, GIMP 2 does not.

fixxxer

@ MaryO- Funny! I was just talking with my brother who has a tattoo shop with a graphics place located next door to each other just down the street from him. He suggested combining both to see what we could get. Might try that! Thanks!

choki

If the band is something you are serious about, spend some money and hire a professional. The logo will potentially be on your album covers, website, t-shirts, and other merch. You can start with Craigslist. I'd recommend finding other local bands with logos that you like and asking for a recommendation for a designer, you don't want your band to be branded with a logo you hate two weeks later after you put it on all of your stuff.

fixxxer

Hey alparrott! I may take you up on that! I am visiting with a local graphic designer today. If that doesn't go through, I may give you a PM.
If you don't mind my asking, what would be the "ballpark" charge for a band logo? I really don't have any idea. Also, what all would you need from me to begin creating one?

alparrott

Platinum Member
Hey alparrott! I may take you up on that! I am visiting with a local graphic designer today. If that doesn't go through, I may give you a PM.
If you don't mind my asking, what would be the "ballpark" charge for a band logo? I really don't have any idea. Also, what all would you need from me to begin creating one?
Feel free to PM me or send me a message through the website or Facebook page I linked you to. My website discusses basic rates and hourly charges.

For what I would need: I could hook up with you by phone, chat, and/or Skype, and we could discuss some ideas. I do a large percentage of my work by internet, so it would be no problem. Other than that, your band name, some basic info about the band (a link to a ReverbNation page, Facebook page, or YouTube channel would help a lot as well). That way I make a logo that reflects who and what you are in a way that connects with your audience.

Beyond that, I'd rather take it off forum... since this place is for drums and not for business. ;) Bermuda is pretty handy with that ban stick.

fixxxer

Understood. Thanks, let me see where my current contacts take me and I may get in contact with you!

hkcweb

I do a little web/graphic design on the side. Pretty much just to buy more drum gear. Check out hkcweb.com and let me know if I can help.

Otto

Platinum Member
Put a flyer up at the local Art Institute...or equivelant...asking for assistance from students.

Helps build their portfolio...and they can say they were paid ...might be $1...but its still called pay!

...might find the same at local high school art departments...speak with the teacher about an art contest with $20 first prize. Might not like any of them ...but its only $20.

Be aware that professional work is spendy...in the thousands...or at least should be if they are not selling themselves short.(hmm...alot like music)