Craigslist never ceases to amaze me....

greenstar323

For some odd reason I catch myself on Craigslist every now and then looking for people to jam with and came across this trinket of an ad:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/muc/5217149028.html

In case the link doesn't work it says:
"Heavy original rock band seeks drummer who plays any of these classic drum kit brands/cymbals with the style set up as seen in these photos." (goes on to list bands they like)

Then there are 4 pictures the classic Bonham setup. What the..?!

For fun I considered responding with:
1. A picture from the "Tom Angles" thread with a caption "Will this suffice?"
2. Sending a bogus pic similar to the ones shown and show up with my breakbeats kit
3. Tell them I can meet those requirements if and ONLY if the guitarist plays a Gibson Flying V.

Funny they didn't mention ability matters....

opentune

Platinum Member
Hilarious and stupid ad eh?
Nice kits, but don't they care if a drummer can PLAY for your band? No mention of ability in the ad. Also 'heavy' is a term that is so broad, even in rock music.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I can appreciate a band wanting a certain aesthetic, but being brand specific is taking it a bit far. If they're that picky, I'm surprised they didn't specify the look / age / physique of the drummer!

rtliquid

I like when they say "must be reliable and have transportation." No, I'm only gonna show up when I feel like it, and I bicycle everywhere (when it isn't broken).

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
A lot of people regard the 1 up, 2 down set up as the epitome of a real rock drums set!

It does look cool, though.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I don't honestly find their ad dumb at all.

They don't just want a drummer who can play, they also want a certain vibe.

Nothing wrong with that IMHO. Better than posting a generic drummer wanted ad, getting 100 replies, and then having to turn down 99 drummers simply aren't the right fit.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I can appreciate a band wanting a certain aesthetic, but being brand specific is taking it a bit far. If they're that picky, I'm surprised they didn't specify the look / age / physique of the drummer!

I'm sure they'll do that with whoever shows up.

Nope - not the right look - sorry.

In my area, a large percentage of those types of ads have age specifications, rather than skills or ability.

wildbill

Platinum Member
A lot of people regard the 1 up, 2 down set up as the epitome of a real rock drums set!

It does look cool, though.
I traded in a (non-desirable brand) kit set up like that.

Ya - it looked cool, but it just didn't work for me at all.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I figure anybody who has a set like that has to be a great drummer, but that guitarist better have a Gibson Flying V guitar or else I'd walk.

opentune

Platinum Member
I like when they say "must be reliable and have transportation." No, I'm only gonna show up when I feel like it, and I bicycle everywhere (when it isn't broken).
I guess I didn't appreciate there are some drummers out there with no transport - cabbing allover with drums, or wanting a kit to be there for them, or expecting rides to every rehearsal? I don't get that.

Ok f that band is going for a certain aesthetic, then what do you think the other instruments should be?
I'd say a sunburst Les Paul - Orange or Marshall stack and black Fender Precision with a tall 8 x 10 Ampeg.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I recall working in drum stores and people would come in "I'm auditioning for band, if I get in, I'm going to need buy a drum set..."

I recall last band I was in, we were looking for a guitar player, and people would reply to ad via email and say "yeah, just do a search and find my page..." like you can't just send me a link?

Plenty of flaky people out there.

Headbanger

The ad in the original post must be from someone who wants to start a tribute band. Either that, or he's a burglar with a shopping list.

My favourite ads are the ones that say "No Timewasters." Because I was really looking forward to wasting that person's time until they told me not to.

GeoB

Gold Member
I am always amazed how underwhelmed I am of CL ads. But... I have sold several big ticket items on the list.

That said, if a tribute band was interested in paying strict attention to the music, I can understand why the equipment would have to be correct also. Sort of like re-enactors who dress up and gear up for the period they long to showcase.

opentune

Platinum Member
The ad in the original post must be from someone who wants to start a tribute band. Either that, or he's a burglar with a shopping list.

My favourite ads are the ones that say "No Timewasters." Because I was really looking forward to wasting that person's time until they told me not to.
Ok, but looking at the kits they show, what "heavy" band used a Black Diamond Slingerland, a white Marine Pearl Ludwig, silver sparkle Gretsch or Red Sparkle Premier (maybe Blondie)?

audioragegarden

Ok, but looking at the kits they show, what "heavy" band used a Black Diamond Slingerland, a white Marine Pearl Ludwig, silver sparkle Gretsch or Red Sparkle Premier (maybe Blondie)?
Devil's advocate, Bill Ward played a Ludwig 4-piece in the early years of Sabbath. :D

Headbanger

You are asking the wrong person. I'm completely clueless about these things. I don't even know what my own favourite drummers play. The ad makes no sense to me unless it's for a tribute act.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Bill Ward with Black Sabbath:

Ian Paice with Deep Purple:

John Bonham with Led Zepplin