craigslist mental cases!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I probably sounded like a mental case on one of my adds. I got a call on a set of Speakers I was selling and a guy named Mike offered me full price p, if I held the speakers for him. The next day I get a call from Mike saying he’d offer me $20 more, if he could swing by now. I got off early to accommodate and made the sale. Three days later, Mike calls asking for directions to pick up the speakers. I tried to explain the confusion I had experienced thinking the two Mikes were the same person. He wasn’t having it and really layed into me. It would also explain why the second Mike seemed so confused when I referenced our “previous” conversation. I got a two for one for mental case in that transaction!

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I probably sounded like a mental case on one of my adds. I got a call on a set of Speakers I was selling and a guy named Mike offered me full price p, if I held the speakers for him. The next day I get a call from Mike saying he’d offer me $20 more, if he could swing by now. I got off early to accommodate and made the sale. Three days later, Mike calls asking for directions to pick up the speakers. I tried to explain the confusion I had experienced thinking the two Mikes were the same person. He wasn’t having it and really layed into me. It would also explain why the second Mike seemed so confused when I referenced our “previous” conversation. I got a two for one for mental case in that transaction!
I have a better one. We had a CL ad up for a singer and ended up with two "Daves" showing up to jam on the same night. It was super akward, but they were both cool about it. I looked through the emails later and realized that it should have been really obvious, but they both just signed the emails Dave. The bad thing is neither worked out in the long run, but still a great story.

opentune

Platinum Member
I was literally walking out the door one night last week to go buy a 60's Rogers snare drum for $50 that a guy had advertised on CL. He called me to tell me that he had just sold it someone for $100 and didn't want me to waste my time coming out (an hour each way). In my mind, he sold his integrity for $50.

Then a few days ago, I saw what I believe is the same drum listed for $300 on what I think is the same picnic table that was posted in the original ad, as it had a very similar background. In other words, he probably received more interest than expected and backed out of the deal figuring he may be able to get more money than he originally thought.

Just this past weekend, I saw an ad for a Ludwig drum I was interested in that was being sold as part of a lower level Tama kit. I asked the seller if he would sell the snare separately, and even offered to give him a Tama snare from the same brand as his kit, as I really wanted the snare to match some drums I have. He declined, so the next day I asked when he would be available for me to buy everything as I really wanted the snare. He decided not to sell the kit and pulled his ad.
I'm sorry, in my opinion, all of these people had a right to do these things on a freewheeling used market. I surely agree the first person should not have lied that he sold it, but in the end he had a right to pull his ad, or change his price, and so did the second person. They could simply have been honest why and apologized for changing their minds.
You felt somebody sold their integrity for $50 but someone might question why you would not offer more than $50 for a Rogers snare that was surely underpriced, right?
They are their items, and they can decide to sell it to whom and at what price. They aren't a company or corporation, and owe us nothing, certainly don't owe us insane bargains. Definitely some people are just fishing seeing what they can get. Easy come easy go.
For every story like these cases, there is somebody who bought something cheap off a naive or uninformed person, and flipped for great profit, as in post#18.

I have had success buying on C/L but not so much selling. My ads are clear and concise but the frustration usually makes me give up posting.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I just spent the week, talking to four different people that "would get back to me tomorrow" and nothing. I am retired so sitting home is no big deal, but they ask questions about size, sound, color etc. and then nothing. They have my address and my phone number but just can't even honor a phone call to even say NO. Very frustrating.

V-Four

....... offering my services for posting other peoples ads for them....

....I would write an informative description of the item and run spelling and grammer check.
I feel as though there's some irony here... just can't seem to put my finger on it. ;)

(Just playin, but it is kinda funny)

T.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I sold a bicycle yesterday and had a air pump to go with it, but when the buyer left, she forgot the pump. I emailed her and the round trip would have been an hour so she said just donate it. I put it Craigslist for FREE, and my email when nuts within 20 minutes. 40 minutes from the ad post and it was picked up. I was amazed.