Coverting accoustic set to electronic

MAXPOWERS

So I am facing a problem. I am sure many did before me, but I see little about it on the net.
I need to keep things quiet, and at the same moment be able to record to media.So at this point is either getting electronic set or converting accoustic set to electronic.
If I was going to get electronic it would only be top of either Yamaha or Roland V Drums. Anything else I consider a instrument that I don't play.
It is not about module but about the feel.
I don't think about traps or pads, only mesh almost truly resembles real drum head, and its fun to play too.
Well I don't think I can afford any of Yamaha or Roland sets, cause I like large sets and that would run me pretty money.
I guess that that only thing I can do is try to convert my own accoustic set.
By all means I still love my accoustic set very much, I really wouldn't mind keeping it, and ending up with slapping some mesh heads on it, then some Alesis Module and triggers.

I just would like to hear from some of you that already went through it.
How is the experience???
Was it worth it???
Would you rather get electronic set from the beginning instead of converting accoustic set?

Cause In this case it looks like it will run about 2k or more with good module
Anyway...
Thanks

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Used? A friend of mine sold his Roland TD-10 kit (with rack and 5 pads and the nice bass drum pad) for $1200. Used, yes, but it was state-of-the-art prior to the TD-20. Roland also makes a cheaper kit with mesh heads and a one-step down sound module, and when I played that one, it was good too - $1799 was the price, I believe.

I had the TD10 kit and would recommend that instead of converting your acoustic kit. You may need it as an acoustic kit and the change-over would be alot of work. But regardless of how real the e-kits get, they still don't compare to real drums. I've yet to look at those Pearl e-drums, which are actually drums, but I'm willing to bet those won't feel or react the same way either. I don't think they ever will.

How about quieting down your acoustic space? Anyway you could soundproof the drum area? It might cost more, but worth it in the long run, I think.

I've been there: you end up investing in all this electronic stuff just to find out that it isn't really the business end you need to deal with. Would it be easier to discover a way to continue on with your acoustic drums?

techristian

It is very hard to retrofit an existing drumset with piezo pickups (triggers) .

The placement is very tricky and the sensitivity settings are very tricky. Put it in the wrong spot and it won't trigger at all or will even trigger when you hit another drum or double trigger. I TRIED IT !

I DO NOT recommend retrofitting an existing drumset with triggers.

If you can't afford a new Edrum set, I recommend that you buy a used set locally where you can TRY THEM FIRST.

Dan

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I had a custom drum company build me some pads that matched my kit.
They were all 12" with mesh heads and ddrum triggers on them. Worked fine for me. Right now I have a 22" kick with a mesh head and ddrum trigger on my E-kit and it also works fine. It's a little hard to play, but once you get the hang of it it's better.

toddy

Platinum Member
I second jkevn. No offence to this forum, but you'll find much better info (including diagrams) if you're wanting to do any sort of conversion job on vdrums.

jaystar89

Hey, i am very much in the same boat.
I am thinking about turning my 6 piece pearl electro as im living in a flat for the next 18 months.
I would rather do this, as at the end of the 18 months, I can take off the mesh heads, and replace them with the origonals.
is it a costly process?
is there any tutorials or item lists that are needed to convert (i know nothing about it)
cheers