country

henrikhank

Howdy!
What kinda sticks, hot rods and brushes should one buy when playing country music (whatever you put under that term)?
I am interested how you personally have dealt with this.
I am only aware of 7a being better than 5a for country in most cases. What are your experiences?

whiteknightx

Silver Member
depends what kind of country you are playing. I use a nice set of brushes for train beats - folsom prison blues types, I have a set of Headhunters crossovers which are a hot rod type stick with artificial rods which I find are way more durable for drumming with. Wood dowels never last for me at all.

And I like Promark 737's or Vater Studio's for regular sticks, but really I use my sticks for country, and / or rock. I wouldn't change sticks specifically for country, but I do like thinner sticks for fast shuffles.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I like 5As, their loud enough and comfortable for me. Plus if you have medium weighted sticks you can also play a heavy blues pattern or rock pattern that you'll typically have to do in a country setlist. A lot of the time groups I play with will ask me to use brushes, but I really try to get out of it whenever I can. I've played jazz for a long time and I'm comfortable with brushes, I personally just don't like the sound

But it's like this guy said, it all depends really on what kind of country you're playing

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
The hard part with country is there's a bunch of different kinds. The more modern types aren't much different than rock basically. Older stuff is a bit different.

Either way I actually use Vic Firth Buddy Rich signature, which is actually close to 5B diameter, and I usually go and try and find pairs on the lighter side. For me the size works pretty well overall and fits better in my hand than thinner sticks, and the long taper helps with some of the country shuffle stuff. I also carry and pair of hot rods and brushes as well for train stuff like whiteknightx said.

Edit: Some interesting observations... Rich Redmond (Jason Aldean) has signature 595s from promark that are 5B diameter, Shawn Fitcher (Tim McGraw/Faith Hill) uses Vic Firth 55A which are .580" which are between a 5A and 5B. Jim Riley (Rascall Flats) uses Vater 5Bs. David Northrup has used both Promark 747Bs which are .590" and 5A Stretch Vaters.

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have Vic Firth Rute 505 [I think] They're bundles of sm. nylon rods. I use them for train beats and the like.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Howdy!
What kinda sticks, hot rods and brushes should one buy when playing country music (whatever you put under that term)?
I am interested how you personally have dealt with this.
I am only aware of 7a being better than 5a for country in most cases. What are your experiences?
My experience is to use my technique to make anything work. Depending on the song, the venue, the drums, etc.,..., they all determine whatever tool I use. Brushes, rods, sticks of any size, I make them all work.

alparrott

Platinum Member
My experience is to use my technique to make anything work. Depending on the song, the venue, the drums, etc.,..., they all determine whatever tool I use. Brushes, rods, sticks of any size, I make them all work.
This. I don't typically trade sticks out for styles so much as for situation.