Country Music Cross Stick (Snare) sample

bosman

Are there any drummers out there who have a device or perhaps a percussion block that they can use to produce a consistent, authentic cross stick sound?

I am going to play in a country band and I want a louder and more consistent cross stick sound.

I was hoping not to involve a very large and expensive electronic drum "brain" if at all possible.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

Pingass

Have you tried using the butt of your stick? I find that gives a much stronger rim click than using the bead

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Thats all I've ever used,and the sound and volume to me are much better than the tapered end.Theres nothing else you need,and theres no magic or electronics involved.Country drummers have been doing it for years.

Steve B

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
Are there any drummers out there who have a device or perhaps a percussion block that they can use to produce a consistent, authentic cross stick sound?

I am going to play in a country band and I want a louder and more consistent cross stick sound.

I was hoping not to involve a very large and expensive electronic drum "brain" if at all possible.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
I've been using the butt end of the stick for years, but I just recently put an S-Hoop on the batter side of my snare an the difference is amazing! I am able to cross-stick using the regular tip end of the stick and still get a clearer cross-stick sound that I was able to get even with reversing the stick. Best $20 I ever spent.

wsabol

Gold Member
I switched to wood hoops for my country gig. It made a world of difference.. much louder rim clicks.

67sacul

I just started playing in a country band myself, but I sometimes have trouble finding the "sweet spot" for cross sticking on the first hit. I just got the Russ Miller Groove Wedge by Yamaha in hopes to end this problem. I haven't tried it out yet. I'll throw it on later today and let you know what I think!!

67sacul

O.K. I tried the "Groove wedge". I'm not to impressed. It sounds kinda cheesy to me and it still has a "sweet spot" (although it is a larger sweet spot). My snare has a much better cross stick sound than the "wedge". Looks like I'll be practicing hitting the sweet spot on my snare every time. I suppose it is better to practice the correct way rather than try to rely on some new fangled product or gimmic.

For sale: One Yamaha Russ Miller Groove Wedge!! Hahaha!

ddrumman2004

I hardly ever use the butt end of a stick for cross sticking. I'll say 99% of the time it's the tapered end.
I do know that between Pro Mark and Vic Firth sticks of the same size...the Pro Marks give a more solid "click"....more "bottom end"..in my opinion than the Vic Firth sticks.

I don't know...maybe the hickory used in the Pro Marks is more dense in structure?