Correct rendering of Tush drum track

shemp

Silver Member
Have Mercy!

Great video....what a kick @ss band. It certainly does appear that Frank is shuffling the snare. I love the tom fill at 1:40 as well

I love the kinda Neil Peart style kit and the dot heads on the resos....Frank is a badass. Criminally underrated IMO.

Frank is definitely playing the shuffle beat on the snare. You can find a bunch of videos of the band playing Tush live and see that's what he's playing.

See here at the 1:50 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miMBZDBtKG0

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I guess one option in a tune like Tush where Frank's playing quarters on the hats - at least during the live version 8M posted - is to play it open handed. I still find playing the shuffle with a distinctly accented backbeat with my RH a foreign movement but it's easier for me to control.

I still have much difficulty with the Texas, especially at the low volumes I play. There is no way I'd bring it to a Mabels gig, other than maybe tossing it in for a bar or two during a solo.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Frank is definitely playing the shuffle beat on the snare. You can find a bunch of videos of the band playing Tush live and see that's what he's playing.

What is interesting is Frank seems to have made a slight changes in the way he plays it over the years.

Compare the clip 8-mile posted from 1980 and and this 2004 clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5WB5ouP-8c Frank is still playing the ghost notes, but rather than the texas shuffle, he plays more of a jazz-ride pattern with the left hand.

And then in this clip form 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4z4eMQxC-E
His left hand is much busier than the 2004 version.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

I was going off the studio recording. I don't know for sure what he played in the studio, I was just going by what I can hear. Do you hear a shuffled snare on the original studio recording Lar? I can't.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I was going off the studio recording. I don't know for sure what he played in the studio, I was just going by what I can hear. Do you hear a shuffled snare on the original studio recording Lar? I can't.
To me, part of the trouble figuring out ZZ Top parts from the studio recordings is that the production makes is REALLY difficult to hear what the drums are doing, for me at least. The drums don't sound very natural. I refer to live versions when possible, and as seen, even those vary.

For the record, I play La Grange with the Texas shuffle - left hand shuffle on snare with accented backbeats, shuffle on the bass drum leaving out the 2 and 4, quarters on the hats/ride. I play Tush with bass drum on a1 a3 and snare on a2 a4, quarters on the hats/ride. Both drum parts sound way more authentic than most other players I've heard do these songs, IMO, and more authentic than most guitarists do either, as well.

shemp

Silver Member
That sequence sounds about right to me....for better or worse, my snare sequence in tush is four hits....ghost ghost da.DUH

As a guitarist also, I maintain if you don't use a slide for the solos, don't play the song. Play it right or don't play it.

I have never worked with a drummer that played this song or Lagrange properly and the feel is just lost from a good tipsy groove to a four on the floor concrete anchor...I'm sure there are lots of guys that play it like Frank though....I've just not been blessed to work with them.

To me, part of the trouble figuring out ZZ Top parts from the studio recordings is that the production makes is REALLY difficult to hear what the drums are doing, for me at least. The drums don't sound very natural. I refer to live versions when possible, and as seen, even those vary.

For the record, I play La Grange with the Texas shuffle - left hand shuffle on snare with accented backbeats, shuffle on the bass drum leaving out the 2 and 4, quarters on the hats/ride. I play Tush with bass drum on a1 a3 and snare on a2 a4, quarters on the hats/ride. Both drum parts sound way more authentic than most other players I've heard do these songs, IMO, and more authentic than most guitarists do either, as well.

radman

I don't have a prob with the left hand shuffle on the snare ... jazzy guy who tried to cop Buddy and Jeff H built up that technique. I can swing it and snap it. No issue.

BUT ...

I never realized the shuffle on the bass drum - I had always played quarters (4 on the floor).

Mr. jazzy guy apparently does not have such good bass drum technique. As soon as I add the extra notes to the bass drum, the solid groove is pretty much lost. I'm "off balance" and it sounds it. crap... something more to practice.

um, thanks ... I think.. ;-)

radman