Cool breathing trick

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Try this:

With your hands on the keyboard, breath in as deeply as you can and exhale.

Now do the same thing with your forearms inverted, so the bottoms are parallel with the ceiling.

If you're like most people, you will be able to breathe much deeper with the forearms inverted, for the same effort.

With me, even if only one arm is inverted, I get almost all of the benefit.

It could apply to drumming. If you breathe that is :)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Don't do it, guys. I just tried and it's a trick. You'll end up vomiting all the bacardi onto the floor and flailing around like a lush.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Could it have something t o do with the position of the shoulders changing possibly lifting your diaphragm?
I honestly don't know since I'm not a physician or a physical person..

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I honestly don't know since I'm not a physician or a physical person..
Not a physical person...could you elaborate on that?

I have no idea why it is, the air thing. I learned it from Sadhguru, a South Indian mystic/guru.

I got it from Youtube, I didn't go to South India.

beatdat

Could it have something t o do with the position of the shoulders changing possibly lifting your diaphragm?
Sound about right.

Not a physical person...could you elaborate on that?

I have no idea why it is, the air thing. I learned it from Sadhguru, a South Indian mystic/guru.

I got it from Youtube, I didn't go to South India.
I think it's a yoga thing. Notice how they breath with their palms up while pinching their thumbs and middle fingers together?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sound about right.

I think it's a yoga thing. Notice how they breath with their palms up while pinching their thumbs and middle fingers together?
Yes, yoga. That's exactly why they invert the forearms. Yoga is all about the breath.

It doesn't seem logical why inverting your forearms could affect your breathing, but it does. My shoulders stay in the same position no matter what position my forearms are in.

I think that sometimes logic gets in the way of understanding.

Doesn't work for me. At least even if I breath deeper, I cannot feel any difference. How do you understand it's not an illusion and you actually breath deeper?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Doesn't work for me. At least even if I breath deeper, I cannot feel any difference. How do you understand it's not an illusion and you actually breath deeper?
My diaphragm sticks out further when I fully inhale when I have my palms up. Also, you are supposed to do this sitting with your back being arrow straight. Try it again sitting up as straight as you can. Maybe you will feel a difference. Plus everyone is different. I works with most people supposedly.