Convincing my parents for a double bass pedal

tom2zip

I told them that I wanted a double bass pedal (my first one) and I was gonna pay, and they said it's gonna be too loud. I told them it's not gonna get any LOUDER since I'm hitting the same thing, only MORE. They still say no. I told them I'm not gonna play drums at all if they are around. They still said it's gonna be a noise to our neighbours. Practically they think if I don't use a double bass pedal at school, it's useless (and we don't use it at school). Any help would be appreciated. :D

alparrott

Platinum Member
Get a set of Soundoffs or mesh heads and some plastic practice cymbals first, then work on the double bass pedal. That will remove their primary gripe with your drum playing.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
What kind of music do you play at your school? Would your parents shun you for wanting to learn how to play jazz if you're only playing rock and pop tunes in the "pep band" and school?

You could explain to them that you're inspired to delve deeper into the art of drumming and expand your coordination horizons.

C

Christ-Hammer

It doesn't get louder, it gets faster..... Ugh some parents just don't understand the science of sound.....

konaboy

Pioneer Member
What kind of music do you play at your school? Would your parents shun you for wanting to learn how to play jazz if you're only playing rock and pop tunes in the "pep band" and school?

You could explain to them that you're inspired to delve deeper into the art of drumming and expand your coordination horizons.

That's a great way to approach it. Also make sure you don't "develop" and attitude with them when talking to them about it, that will immediately defeat your purpose. They are probably having the misconception on the "noise" issue associating it with metal bands who they think are loud and noisy. It's just another avenue of your craft that will expand your playing skills!

tom2zip

There is only jazz band at my school, which sucks really. And my parents think that if I'm not gonna use a double bass pedal at school, it's not worth it.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Tell them that you want to develop independent foot coordination for better Jazz play. I don't play double bass with my bands, Our music doesn't require it, so I don't lug the pedals to gigs, but I own and use a double pedal for practice. It's a great practice tool. I try and do everything with my left foot that I can do with my right. I also practice open handed playing while using the left pedal.

jwildman

Say that until you are allowed to buy the pedal you will play twice as loud. Or go with two bass drums. Just a few thoughts.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I would suggest, after reading your profile, that you put your money toward a better drum set than your current CB set. I will guess that your cymbals could use an up grade before you worry about 600 dollar pedals.

Fiery

Silver Member
I would suggest, after reading your profile, that you put your money toward a better drum set than your current CB set. I will guess that your cymbals could use an up grade before you worry about 600 dollar pedals.
Who ever mentioned 600 dollar pedals? He could get a decent double pedal for 150-200 dollars.

JT1

Silver Member
Well mate if i have learned anything about this type of situation it's that you need to take maters into your own hands. Go out and buy the double pedal anyway. In all fairness they can't stop you and what's the worst that can happen? They are hardly going to take it off you! Rules are there to be broken and if you can't break the rules every so often, you can't progress. That doesn't just apply to drumming either that applies to everything.

However if you're desperate to seek their approval on how you should spend your own money then explaining to them that it can be used to train your left foot to be as good as your right is the perfect place to start.

My advice is go ahead and buy it man, show them that it's not what they think it is and if they get angry, they'll always come round in the end.

tom2zip

I'm saving up money for DW 7000 but I'm not sure if a local music store have them. I saw a DW 4000 and some Gibraltar ones. Anyway, thanks for the help guys! :D

Davo-London

Gold Member
Well mate if i have learned anything about this type of situation it's that you need to take maters into your own hands. Go out and buy the double pedal anyway. In all fairness they can't stop you and what's the worst that can happen? They are hardly going to take it off you! Rules are there to be broken and if you can't break the rules every so often, you can't progress. That doesn't just apply to drumming either that applies to everything.

However if you're desperate to seek their approval on how you should spend your own money then explaining to them that it can be used to train your left foot to be as good as your right is the perfect place to start.

My advice is go ahead and buy it man, show them that it's not what they think it is and if they get angry, they'll always come round in the end.
I totally disagree with this "advice". Your parents need to be shown some respect. Leave it for 6 months and then, if your playing and enthusiasm is such, they will see that you take the drums seriously and want to improve.

As for whether you actually need double bass is questionable anyway. So your parents aren't so far off the mark. The above "advice" will lead to conflict. I see no point in that since the teenage years are hard enough for both parties anyway.

Peace
Davo