Converting a 1996-97, 5-piece Tama into a Jungle Kit vs. Buying a new jungle kit??? HELP!

96drummer

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I've been recently thinking about getting a jungle kit. I want something small that I can take anywhere for gigs or just practice. I've been looking into jungle kits and be-bop kits and there is a nice selection out there.

I already have a 1996-97 Tama Silverstar kit. This is the first kit I've ever owned, and I've had it since I was 10/11 years old. So there is some sentimental value there.

I wanted to know if anyone has any opinions or suggestions as to if it is better to try and convert certain pieces of my Tama kit into a jungle kit, OR would be it better to sell my kit and buy a jungle kit?

Any info is more than welcome!

Thanks.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You can keep what you have and get a new Sonor Safari kit for under $300 on eBay. Someone was mentioning them here already. Go get it before they run out!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Or for $389, you can get the newer ones in red sparkle. Less than $400 for a clean shell pack - these kits are awesome. I did a YouTube video on one and sold many a Safari for Sonor. I'm still waiting for my check from them ;)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It would probably be better to sell the Tama and buy one of the many great jungle kits that are available today.
Your Rockstar 5 piece kit goes for about $250 to $300 used.
If you got $250 for your kit it would cost you just over $150 to buy a Safari.
If you bought bass drum spurs, a lifter, and a tom mount to convert your floor tom to a bass drum you would spend over $100.
On the other hand you may want to use your Rockstar as both a jungle kit and a 5 piece gig kit. Then you should convert it.
You have to decide if you still want your Rockstar for sentimental and practical reasons.

96drummer

Thanks for all of the advice. I've been hearing great things about the Sonar kit and have watched many Youtube videos and reviews. Seems like a great kit. Definitely still have some things to think about.

96drummer

Well I definitely think I wanted to keep my Rockstar kick for sentimental reasons, but it just doesn't work for me these days. I don't see a time any soon in my future where I'll have enough space for a full size 22/24 kick etc.

Now it's just a matter of nailing it down to a couple of bop kits I've seen. Aside from the Sonor Safari, I've heard great things about the Mapex Horizon Fastpack (for $750 it comes with hardware and bags), Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz and the Tama Silverstar Metro Jam.

Any advice on these??

Thanks!

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I bought a Safari kit after hearing Bo's videos. I'm very happy with it and have sold a couple as well for Sonor. A guy who owns a local studio and toured with Miles remarked that the kit sounded great and was amazed at the cost.

That said, I kind of like the Ludwig ?uestlove kit a bit better. Surprisingly the shorter kick sounds better to me, and the snare is vastly better. The hardware used to mount the kick and pedal is much better. I had to grind a curve into the foot of the Sonor pedal bracket to get the pedal to go on right and cut a notch into the hoop to clear the cam on the pedal (single chain DW5000 Accelerator). Either that or the beater is angled way forward. The Sonor snare just sits in the back of the garage and I typically use the kit with an Acrolite.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I bought a Safari kit after hearing Bo's videos. I'm very happy with it and have sold a couple as well for Sonor. A guy who owns a local studio and toured with Miles remarked that the kit sounded great and was amazed at the cost.

That said, I kind of like the Ludwig ?uestlove kit a bit better. Surprisingly the shorter kick sounds better to me, and the snare is vastly better. The hardware used to mount the kick and pedal is much better. I had to grind a curve into the foot of the Sonor pedal bracket to get the pedal to go on right and cut a notch into the hoop to clear the cam on the pedal (single chain DW5000 Accelerator). Either that or the beater is angled way forward. The Sonor snare just sits in the back of the garage and I typically use the kit with an Acrolite.
I'm liking the Ludwig a bit as well and will consider that one when they offer it in an attractive sparkle, like red ;) And maybe with a 26" bass drum.

evilg99

Platinum Member

Going to agree that the ?uestlove snare is better...but to me, the Sonor Safari's bass drum and toms sound much, much better than the Luddys. I've played the ?uestlove a couple times and was mostly disappointed. I really like ?uestlove's playing and I do like Ludwig drums in general...but these just don't get there for me.

To the original poster: you mention Jungle kit...the Sonor Jungle kit ( vs. Safari) is in a different league. 100% maple shells, hardware is better, optional 2007/3007/Selelct Force snares are really good, many nice finishes...but they are 2x the cost of the Safari.

Good luck!
Neal

Aeolian

Platinum Member
One of the guys I turned on to the Safaris cut a hole in the kick reso and uses it with a drums and DJ thing he does. He's got a blanket or towels in there too but I guess it's possible to hit it hard enough to cut though. I did a casual with him (me on guitar) in a fancy lounge with an R&B singer and full band and it worked. I kept my reso intact and I think it carries into the room better. I've done some medium loud gigs with it and while it didn't restart heats like my Renowns of my new D'Amicos, you could hear it.

Maybe the shorter note of the Ludwigs fits together with the higher pitch for me. I haven't heard the Breakbeats with a band, but I just saw a pic on FB of a guy I know playing some so it will be interesting to hear him and see how they work.

I kind of think that the color of the Ludwigs is kind of unique. I got the Safaris in the blueish silver sparkle as my other kit is wood. It's a nice classy finish that people remark on as being attractive, but it isn't the "what is that" kind of thing that the Ludwigs have. Oh well, I'll keep the Safari's as they work well and they're paid for. I'm not one to buy every new thing that comes down the road. I might appreciate it, but I've never "collected" stuff.

evilg99

Platinum Member
One of the guys I turned on to the Safaris cut a hole in the kick reso and uses it with a drums and DJ thing he does. He's got a blanket or towels in there too but I guess it's possible to hit it hard enough to cut though. I did a casual with him (me on guitar) in a fancy lounge with an R&B singer and full band and it worked. I kept my reso intact and I think it carries into the room better. I've done some medium loud gigs with it and while it didn't restart heats like my Renowns of my new D'Amicos, you could hear it.

Maybe the shorter note of the Ludwigs fits together with the higher pitch for me. I haven't heard the Breakbeats with a band, but I just saw a pic on FB of a guy I know playing some so it will be interesting to hear him and see how they work.

I kind of think that the color of the Ludwigs is kind of unique. I got the Safaris in the blueish silver sparkle as my other kit is wood. It's a nice classy finish that people remark on as being attractive, but it isn't the "what is that" kind of thing that the Ludwigs have. Oh well, I'll keep the Safari's as they work well and they're paid for. I'm not one to buy every new thing that comes down the road. I might appreciate it, but I've never "collected" stuff.
No doubt either kit could work on just about any gig. Good heads, tuning, mics...voila!

Agree with you about the Breakbeats finish. Very nice indeed, and unique. The badges are not over the top either, I like that.

One thing for sure: the Breakbeats are well marketed and sell quick! I've seen a couple kits sell locally within a couple days of landing. Brand recognition, finish, pricing...fit and function...check, check, check, check.

Neal