Converted Floor Tom Problem

jdrummys

I just got my Gibraltar Dunnett Floor Tom Conversion Kit for my Mapex Saturn 16 x14. I put on a clear Powerstroke 3 for the batter and an Ebony Ambassador for the reso. No muffling inside (I figured the Powerstroke would take care of that). Well whatever I do, I can't seem to get it from sounding like a floor tom. When the reso was too loose it sounded boom. When I tightened it, it sounded boingy. I just can't get that punchy thump. Any help??

I just got my Gibraltar Dunnett Floor Tom Conversion Kit for my Mapex Saturn 16 x14. I put on a clear Powerstroke 3 for the batter and an Ebony Ambassador for the reso. No muffling inside (I figured the Powerstroke would take care of that). Well whatever I do, I can't seem to get it from sounding like a floor tom. When the reso was too loose it sounded boom. When I tightened it, it sounded boingy. I just can't get that punchy thump. Any help??
Hey,
I did the same thing about a week ago and I got good results after a while. Seat the heads and then put 1 felt strip on each side with a patch on the batter side.Then test different tunings and beater placements. The floor tom started to sound great after about of week of breaking in and I'm loving how portable it is too.

Have fun with it.

oops

Silver Member
Are you trying to get a jazz tone or a rock sound?

I found I get a better jazz tone by tuning like a floor tom, then putting some slight padding against the batter head (I use a small tea towel inside the drum, but a felt strip could work just as well).

For a rocky thump, you might consider porting the reso side...

Isaac Lee

Interesting! I always thought the only reason to have a 16" bass drum was to play Jazz. I never considered trying to get a fat thumpy rock sound out of it. Sounds fun. Doesn't sound very doable though.

oops

Silver Member
On the contrary...

I ported my floor tom a while back, and you can get a decent rock sound out of it. Understand that it's not a very deep sound, but muffled it sounds ok.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I just can't get that punchy thump. Any help??
Ebony Powerstroke 3 reaso. in combination with your clear Powerstroke 3 batter should give you a "punchy" sounding 16x14. I fitted up a 20x14 that way, and it made for a really nice little kick.

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
Like I said on the other forum, Vintage felt strip under your reso with give you a deeper controlled tone & resonance.