Contest: Become the New Drummer of Dream Theater

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I find it funny people are looking only at replacing Portnoy from the technical aspect.

Experience, personality, attitude, and other aspects are also going to be major factors.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I heard a rumor, from a professional drum tech that Terry Bozzio may have gotten the job. Nothing final, just a rumor.

Discuss

-Jonathan

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I heard a rumor, from a professional drum tech that Terry Bozzio may have gotten the job. Nothing final, just a rumor.

Discuss

-Jonathan
Doubtful.

Bozzio is a shrewd businessman. He's only take the job if he got a serious piece of the action and guaranteed minimum payment if Mike Portnoy decided to come back.

Also, Dream Theater is a metal band at heart, and Bozzio isn't exactly the most metal of a guys.

Although it if ended up true, I would be first in line to buy the new album.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Doubtful.

Bozzio is a shrewd businessman. He's only take the job if he got a serious piece of the action and guaranteed minimum payment if Mike Portnoy decided to come back.

Also, Dream Theater is a metal band at heart, and Bozzio isn't exactly the most metal of a guys.

Although it if ended up true, I would be first in line to buy the new album.
Agreed about the shrewd businessman part, for sure.

They are a metal band at heart, but it's not like TB has never played metal in his career...

Like I said, nothing definitive, just a rumor. I'd like to see either him, Virgil Donati or Mike Mangini fill in.

-Jonathan

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I've heard Terry Bozzio say he doesn't listen to popular music anymore at all, which I believe includes prog rock bands. I don't think he's interested in that kind of bashing nowadays, but who knows? ...and who cares - we will see!!

By the way I must say although I'm not really into the style anymore - I'm kind of a former DT fan - I pretty much like the new album (Black Clouds...), it's a lot (alot) better than Systematic Chaos, I think the songs are pretty strong for DT measures. I also quite like Mike P.'s drumming, I even found a fill with 5 note groupings in there :D. So he must have learned something along the way, hehe.

Unclenabe

I've got this gut feeling that the person who takes over will be someone that we'll never expect to. Some really random out of this world guy with heaps of skill....

lucid dreamer

magnificent opportunity for DT to change their music style I loved for 8 years and then became totally bored of
read Ken Wilber, get integral, start having lucid dreams and realize already given enlightenment from the beginning with a spiritual drummer practicing tibetan buddhism dream yoga would make DT make good music
integrally spoken
if they are willing to read some Ken Wilber and practice some nondual meditation

lucid dreamer

better said
there is a need for integral vision also in prog music
because Portnoy just behaved like a cancer tumour
cut himself of
well that´s ok for cancer tumours
now there´s a possibility to get more integrated for DT

T

thatoneguy

I went through a big DT/Liquid Tension phase from like 99-00. I saw them in St. Louis on Valentines Day 2000 (SFAM tour). I remember being more impressed with Jordan than anyone else on the tiny stage that night at Mississippi Nights. Haha, actual venue name. This contest reminds me of an old joke now, though. In this case the joke would be: 1st. Place-Gets to sit in with DT. 2nd place- you get to record with DT. 3rd place- you get the job. Not knocking them guys. Just not an ideal gig for me these days.

Frost

Silver Member
It is possible the band want to go in a new direction... they have made a lot of very similar albums, I believe they are creative enough to mix it up, I don't think they are looking for a new Portnoy clone as such, more a drummer that can play old songs live and add something new to the band.

I don't know how well a groove oriented drummer would fit in DT though. They're not a groove based band, they're a 32nd notes based band. And I really can't see a band like DT saying yes to a fan. Unless they wanted to do it for publicity, which I can't see.

I think what will end up happening is they bring in a studio drummer (my guess will be Mangini having worked with a few of the members before) and have him come out on a tour or two with the band until Portnoy returns.

...kinda like what Portnoy did with Avenged Sevenfold.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jonathan

joeysnare

Silver Member
again i still say aquilles preister of angra and hangar would be a great choice, he has monster chops in both metal and prog style playing. also i think his south american stylings would add some great flare to dt's music.