Construction of concert toms

StaggerLee

Silver Member
A question for the builders and in the knows:
How much does the shell construction and depth of a shell affect the sonic qualities of concert toms?

keep it simple

Platinum Member
A question for the builders and in the knows:
How much does the shell construction and depth of a shell affect the sonic qualities of concert toms?
The construction of a concert tom (shell & shell hardware) has less impact on the resolved sound than it does on a double headed tom, but the dimensions have a significant impact. Depth of drum affects concert toms quite differently compared to double headed toms, most notably, pitch perception.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Pitch perception is a good description! The longer the shell, the lower the note is perceived. But, the note of the head is still dominant.

Consider 6" Octabons. The extreme diameter:depth ratio makes them sound like they're bigger than they are, but the dominant note is still that of a 6" head.

The shell adds body to varying degrees depending on depth, but doesn't change the actual note.

Bermuda

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Pitch perception is a good description! The longer the shell, the lower the note is perceived. But, the note of the head is still dominant.
For the reason you stated Jon, I was deliberate in my choice. The affect of depth in both double & single headed toms is based primarily on the production of overtones, but the way they manifest themselves is very different. Of course, there are other affects too, but they're less prominent, although cumulatively can be important too.

Canopus has some interesting theories on the subject. http://canopusdrums.com/en/product/single-head-tom-tom/
I love it when something is improved on the basis of informed thinking and results rather than finding ways to back up marketing driven BS. This shows a clear understanding of how a shell interacts with other components / masses.