Complexes & Tendencies

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I think every drummer's style is to an extent the result of the drumming he heard and liked.
So I can imagine that there come points in our musical lives where we realize a certain
influence may have overtaken our playing with the price of the "neutral" musical decision we would make otherwise. If that makes sense...

But I think realizing that isn't that bad, because it all shapes our musical taste and language on the drums.

aydee

Platinum Member
Keith Carlock does that all the time, LOL.
I noticed that too. The 16th note triplet thingy he does across the toms and snare.. For me the beauty of Carlock lies in his constant and creative interplay between this right foot and his left hand. Its a constantly varying groove.

Its interesting to reflect ( and like I said earlier this applies only to those of us who have been playing 10 years or more ) and see who's playing we hear in our own playing..?

Its probably 2 or 3 people in my case and some of them aren't very obvious selections.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Not to mention Steve Gadd and his pet chops. Mix 'n' match. If it works, it works.

Abe I have a few pet influences too, and I doubt too many would pick them ... some are accidental ... it just worked out that way. Who are your ones?

aydee

Platinum Member
Not to mention Steve Gadd and his pet chops. Mix 'n' match. If it works, it works.

Abe I have a few pet influences too, and I doubt too many would pick them ... some are accidental ... it just worked out that way. Who are your ones?
The funny thing Pol, is that they aren't the drummers on whom I hoped I had subconsciously styled my self on.

I'd attribute my pretty busy hihat work to listening to a lot of Lenny White ( RTF was a big influence ). My fills seem remind me of Alex Acuna, and Alphonse Mouzon ( WR's Heavy Weather blew my mind one time ). My restraint and overall drumset dynamics remind me of Gadd ( the more obvious one.. )

Yea, and good point about other people not necessarily picking them up though some might..

Last edited:

MikeM

Platinum Member
Not to mention Steve Gadd and his pet chops.
He was the first one to come to my mind, too! Very predictable on a few of them: bap l'bum l'bum l'bum... Gotta love him for those signature gems!

I have a few of my own. They're a not-too-broad compilation of some of my drummer hero-isms, but my hero's cover a wide range stylistically, so hopefully it isn't too obvious. Hell, who am I trying to kid? I know who they all are any probably every other drummer and ditch digger does too!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
The funny thing Pol, is that they aren't the drummers on whom I hoped I had subconsciously styled my self on.

I'd attribute my pretty busy hihat work to listening to a lot of Lenny White ( RTF was a big influence ). My fills seem remind me of Alex Acuna, and Alphonse Mouzon ( WR's Heavy Weather blew my mind one time ). My restraint and overall drumset dynamics remind me of Gadd ( the more obvious one.. )

Yea, and good point about other people not necessarily picking them up though some might.
The only one I would have picked would have been Steve G. From the few things I've heard of you, you remind me most of the guy from Spyro Gyra's first album (that was the only one I had).

I haven't heard enough of Lenny, mainly when he's play really open rhythms with lots of wash. The main thing I remember of Al Mouzon was on Coryell, where he did a bunch of mad 32nds down the toms. We've already talked about Heavy Weather ... but most of your postings didn't have a lot of fills.

For me, John Bonham is a biggie, although I hadn't planned on it ever since my young days, trying to play his triplets. I often think him when I play - usually automatically out of desperation - when I'm looking for a valid approach and unsure what to do (often). He has such a direct, simple approach. I feel like Bonzo whacked out badly on Mandrax :) Funny when you think of the music I play these days ... a piece of him is in Summertime.

Then there's Steve Gadd and a gaggle of other 70s studio / fusion players. I can't do it, but I nudge in that direction from rock just a little because I love the flow. I was thinking Steve in Sunshine of Your Love, believe it or not.

Another is Sol Amarfio from Osibisa. I look for any opportunity to Africanise because, to my ear, it adds colour. If I had more facility, there'd be Latin too ... maybe there is a bit of "punk Latin" in there occasionally ... ? A touch of Africaaaa in Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood.

Bill Bruford also inspires me to look for ways of adding non-cliched things and bright colours, but probably like many others, I've had precious little opportunity to get colourful. It tends to scare the horses.

aydee

Platinum Member
Another is Sol Amarfio from Osibisa. I look for any opportunity to Africanise because, to my ear, it adds colour. If I had more facility, there'd be Latin too ... maybe there is a bit of "punk Latin" in there occasionally ... ? A touch of Africaaaa in Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood.

Bill Bruford also inspires me to look for ways of adding non-cliched things and bright colours, but probably like many others, I've had precious little opportunity to get colourful. It tends to scare the horses.
Osibisa! Woyaya! Wow, thats a blast from a forgotten past.. the first 'World' grooves except we didnt call em that then.. : )

Ya, I know about your Bruford fixation. Good one to have..

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Osibisa! Woyaya! Wow, thats a blast from a forgotten past.. the first 'World' grooves except we didnt call em that then.. : )

Ya, I know about your Bruford fixation. Good one to have..

Yeah, no one ever talks about Osibisa but I got keen after a music teacher put a disc on in class. Saw them play when they came out here too - a great vibe.

I doubt anyone would see a BB influence in my playing these days ... he seems to come out more during jams. I love the way he goes for the unexpected.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I noticed that too. The 16th note triplet thingy he does across the toms and snare.. For me the beauty of Carlock lies in his constant and creative interplay between this right foot and his left hand. Its a constantly varying groove.
And his awesome, awesome, awesome groove/time feel. Which is awesome by the way.