Complete beginner requesting help!!

Yearnin2Learn

Hello everyone! I am just starting to get into learning the drums. Ive always been interested but never took the initiative to try. Anyways my friend gave me Rockband for my birthday and that really made me want to learn the real thing.

The problem is I live in a small town and dont know very many people that play music especially drums, so me trying to get started is proving to be quite a task! I know this will be asking alot, but if anyone can give me some pointers,tips,suggestions,ANYTHING! on anything to do from buying a kit, setting it up, what lessons are like for someone who never has played anything, practicing, finding a band, etc.

Ive been researching kits, but am getting rather overwhelmed! I want something I can buy complete with everything Ill need to get going. All I seem to find is kits for 5 piece, but dont include cymbals? Im trying to find something that comes with EVERYTHING! I also dont want to spend much with just getting started. Just in case it doesnt work out. I also want to stay away from an electronic kit.

Once I get a kit, I want to try and find a place to take lessons, but am worried since I have never played any instrument before, and with Rockband Ive noticed I have a hard time moving my foot/hands at different times!

Anyways, if anyone can help me out with any of this, I would appreciate it beyond belief! Thanks and I hope everyone has a great holiday!!

Monica McCoy

Go buy a practice pad and some sticks.

Then find a teacher.

You can find full used kits on craigslist.

I'd recommend taking a few lessons before investing in a kit.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Good advice there.

Since I notice you are from Baker U, I am thinking you are a bit older of a student and more ready to dig right in. the Tama Imperialstar is probably your best bet, quality kit at an affordable price with cymbals.

B

blade123

MOST kits don't include cymbals and if they do, they are complete crap.
I would find a teacher and look for a used kit on craigslist or eBay (sometimes they have decent cymbals). Used>new 90% of the time.
Watch all the clips on this site, go to the education section at www.vicfirth.com

M

Mystic

See I never had a teacher and know many other drummers who are very good and never had a teacher, I think the internet is really all you need if you can focus closely and watch yourself to see what you are doing wrong. It's a very good alternative if a teacher isn't in your budget, and a lot of them just screw you over and want your money in the end lol. What I do is talk to drummers all over the place, guitar center school online watch youtube videos, and all that jazz and found that you don't really need a teacher, all pun intended, flame me all you want, but you don't need one. Now to get started, if you don't know the basics of drumming I suggest you watch a couple of youtube videos to obtain the stance in which you would even begin playing drums with, and then learn which hand does the basic time keeping of the song and which will do the off beats, then you choose a simple song, like Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson, or For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica and practice song like those until you get a confident feeling of playing songs like those. thats kind of just to get started, when you get that down explore further, also double bass is not a bad idea to get started on, it will increase your foot sync, accuracy, and muscle, also it just sounds cool :D Hope that helps, again bash me flame me do what ever you can everyone, I know most of you will hate my biased teacher comments XD

Nodiggie

Gold Member
great posts here

Learning from scratch is an awesome adventure. What ever you decide to do, getting a teacher or not. Make it fun and stay encouraged. I agree totally with Mystic about playing along to songs you love the most. That is how I learned. Got me a Sony Walkman and played along to all my favorite metal bands. How cool is it to have access to Drummerworld vids and youtube vids that teach you? The resources now are endless.

Yearnin2Learn

Thanks for all the replies! I have been watching some videos on youtube and am still searching this site. LOTS of stuff!!

I checked ebay and craigslist and there are a couple kits that I am going to look more into. I talked to my cousin and he asked his roommate who used to play drums about a kit, and he said to find a cheap kit made by Pulse? He said they arent the best but they work well for starters. Is this true? He said I could get a brand new set with cymbals for like $350. That seems awful cheap as I was expecting to have to spend at least $500+. Anyways appreciate the responses.

M

Mystic

I personally think you should go for a more professional brand, not that Pulse isn't professional, well cause they really aren't and it's not just name, but quality, I would say shoot for a low and used line of one of the bigger names, just because you can trust the quality more, like a Pearl Forum or Export like I have, or a mapex, tama, and Ludwig, they all have good sets to offer, I just haven't had a great experience with those less known, brands and would rather pay a little more for something that will last. Just my thought, oh and I wouldn't trust the cymbals that come with a kit unless it is coming with a more professional cymbal brand, like zildjian, sabian, paiste, etc. I really dislike the low quality of those cheap paper thin cymbals you get with low end sets, they dent so easy. To sum it up only go with something like a Pulse if your on a really tight budget, I don't think a beginner would even want to deal with that.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Not to denigrate any brand name, but I have heard that the Pulse entry sets are really not that good. If you start thinking about getting an entry level kit used, you may get into problems, as entry kits are not made to last.Often, the hardware quickly falls apart. Your budget is a big question in that equation. If your budget is under $500, then used would be a good idea. I would wait until after the holidays. In January, everything is mad cheap. You may even be able to get a new kit at a clearance price.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I checked ebay and craigslist ........
Keep doing that. Start writting down kits by Brand/Series, and what they "sell for" used. That'll give you a good idea of "used kit value". Here's one of the best, the Yamaha Rydeen: http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Rydeen-4pc-Drum-Kit-Sabian-Cymbals-Tama-Chair_W0QQitemZ330290896714QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38097QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem They hold their value better than the Pearls and Tama's for a reason.
I talked to my cousin and he asked his roommate who used to play drums about a kit, and he said to find a cheap kit made by Pulse? He said they arent the best but they work well for starters. Is this true? He said I could get a brand new set with cymbals for like $350.
Stop talking to your cousin. Take him off your christmas card list too, if he keeps giving you good advice like that. Brand new $299-$399 kits.....bad, bad, bad.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Hi there, and welcome! This drum thing can last you a lifetime.

Lots of good advice already posted. I would offer the following advice if you're starting out:

Getting a kit part 1: Which kit?
Don't agonize too much about which kit to get. Just get something, and get playing! I had an old Pearl Export for years and years and it lasted me well so I like Pearl and still play them today, but all the major manufacturers (Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, Mapex, Ludwig, others) do good entry-level kits, and they will serve you well.
The one thing to watch out for on very cheap kits is the tom holders - some cheap kits have poor tom holders which can slip and you don't want to have to keep re-setting them.

Getting a kit part 2: New or used?
DON'T BUY YOUR FIRST KIT NEW. You will get much better value buying a used kit; and if this drumming thing is for you then you will probably learn about what you like and don't like as you play, then you may soon upgrade anyway - For me drum kit ownership has been a process of slow but constant upgrading since I began many years ago. My first kit was a 3 piece and I paid 75 dollars for it... then I replaced a cymbal here, a stand there, and occasionally the drums. You will always be able to sell or part-exchange your old kit when you upgrade. Enjoy the journey!

Getting a kit part 3: Drums vs cymbals
I always thought that cheap drums can be made to sound OK (by means of tuning and damping, and even changing heads if necessary) but poor cymbals can just sound poor, and you can't change a cymbal's sound. So get the best CYMBALS you can afford. Again I would recommend buying second-hand (but check for any damage before buying), to get more for your money. If choosing between quantity and quality of cymbals, choose a smaller number of better sounding ones. Your ears will thank you.

Getting started:
Practice by doing something fun, like playing along to records. Choose music that inspires you to play, and/or stuff you think you can play (these are not always the same!). Play beats - kick/hihat/snare, or kick/ride/snare, working on evenness and basic coordination. Beats are the bread and butter of drumming. If you can keep in time then even better. Playing along with records will help you do this too.

Lessons or no lessons?
Like many drummers I am mostly self-taught, but I have always wanted to learn and improve. I have taken a handful of lessons in my life, and they helped me to improve technique and fluidity for which I am very grateful. But if you can listen to a beat and play a pretty good copy of it, you're already learning (and having fun) and you can go from there. If you don't think you need lessons, then you probably don't. But the day may come when you want to move up a level and then lessons may be useful. You'll probably know. (My only advice is: try to stay relaxed when you play, and hold the sticks fairly loosely).

Well those are some of my thoughts - nothing unique, but things that helped me when I started, hope they're helpful for you!

Cheers.

ddamm27913

Hello everyone! I am just starting to get into learning the drums. Ive always been interested but never took the initiative to try. Anyways my friend gave me Rockband for my birthday and that really made me want to learn the real thing.

The problem is I live in a small town and dont know very many people that play music especially drums, so me trying to get started is proving to be quite a task! I know this will be asking alot, but if anyone can give me some pointers,tips,suggestions,ANYTHING! on anything to do from buying a kit, setting it up, what lessons are like for someone who never has played anything, practicing, finding a band, etc.

Ive been researching kits, but am getting rather overwhelmed! I want something I can buy complete with everything Ill need to get going. All I seem to find is kits for 5 piece, but dont include cymbals? Im trying to find something that comes with EVERYTHING! I also dont want to spend much with just getting started. Just in case it doesnt work out. I also want to stay away from an electronic kit.

Once I get a kit, I want to try and find a place to take lessons, but am worried since I have never played any instrument before, and with Rockband Ive noticed I have a hard time moving my foot/hands at different times!

Anyways, if anyone can help me out with any of this, I would appreciate it beyond belief! Thanks and I hope everyone has a great holiday!!
buy used. (craigslist)
practice with a metronome.
it's not a race, dont try playing fast.
rockband will definitely assist you.
lessons aren't that important but theyre great to get you started in the right direction.
rudiments are realllllly boring at first but you need to not bitch and constantly practice them. playing paradiddles on your lap any time of the day is a great way to get good feel in your hands.
figure out what genre you want to play and learn some songs.
its not a race. yes i said this already.

most of all: STICK WITH IT!!
drumming can get a bit frustrating when you start out. but i can't even begin to convey how fun it gets. being able to play what you feel and do what you like on a kit is better than sex.

Yearnin2Learn

Thanks again for all the advice! Im going to really look for some nice used kits I think. All of this advice sounds good, I cant wait to get started out on what Im sure will be a fun time!!

Daphfz

Try and buy maybe a mapex Q series or a pearl export/forum kit used or something, they are pretty cheap and are ment for beginners :)

Toza

maybe you could watch some DVD's like Jojo Mayer's Secret wepons for the modern drummer, or find some books like STICK CONTROL. and you must buy practice pad!!!!