Commute for the drums

Kobld

Recently landed a job as a software developer. Pays well, however it is in a city; the problem with the city is you cannot play your acoustic drums without getting a noise complaint from your neighbor... I found a place that is 30 minutes from work that is well separated from other houses, but costs a whopping $1400 dollars a month. Or, I could spend like $1000 on an apartment and ditch the acoustic drums which would kill my soul.

Just curious if any of you have had this problem and how you solved it?

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Remo mesh heads, Zildjian L80 cymbals, Tennisball riser platform and a bit of sound absorption panels and you should be good to go.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
That's ciy living for anyone, musicians included.

In most cities the are rehearsal spaces you can rent. Some are short term "hotels" where you pay by he hour, but there are usually options where several bands share a room and have a schedule. Finding ample time outside band rehearsals for a drummer in one of the bands or someone who just wants to practice drums shouldn't be much of a problem.

You might just look for a band yourself and ask if you can chip in and use their rehearsal space for drumming when they're not using it.

tcspears

Gold Member
a whopping $1400 dollars a month
Being in Boston, where the average 1 bedroom rents at $2300, that made me laugh.

To your post though, that's living in a city. You don't have space, everything is cramped, and everything is expensive. You could look into a place in the suburbs, but then you're going to be commuting in.

Try looking around and see if there are practice spaces to rent out in your area.

We have 5 or so music colleges in Boston, so there are tons of private studios for rent that you could use. Some of the schools might even let you rent a studio..

There's also the electric drumset option, but you'l want to soundproof your room, since your neighbors won't want to hear you hitting things, just as much as they don't want to hear you playing the actual drums.

For me, I gig 4-5 nights a week, so when I'm home I just use a practice pad. If I really need to practice the whole set, I'll find someone with space, or head to my old school and see if I can reserve a room.

bonerpizza

Silver Member
I live in an apartment and obviously can't play drums at home so I got in on a practice space that my band shares with 3 other bands and my band's cut is only $80 a month, unfortunately it's 20 miles away from my apartment on the completely opposite side of town but as long as I don't try to get down there during rush hour it never takes longer than 30 minutes.

Before we got in on the practice space I tried using an electronic kit but I'm on the third floor and the vibration and sound of the beater on my kick pedal hitting the bass drum pad caused all kinds of noise to my downstairs neighbor.

Kobld

Before we got in on the practice space I tried using an electronic kit but I'm on the third floor and the vibration and sound of the beater on my kick pedal hitting the bass drum pad caused all kinds of noise to my downstairs neighbor.
Yep, I have electronic drums and I've had the same experience. My downstairs neighbors ended up pounding on the ceiling as hard as they could instead of just knocking on my door like a normal human being.

That was the point when I decided I hated living close to people.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Guess I'm lucky here in Scottsdale Arizona. Rent a 10x12' studio (one of 5) in a nice building 20 miles from home and have access 24/7 for $300 a month. Can play as loud and long as I want.

Attachments

PlayTheSong

As someone who commutes at least an hour each way (so that my family can live on 14 acres of country paradise), I'd advise you to take into account the cost of commuting. Your life will shorten by each hour you spend commuting, you'll pay through the nose for gas and you'll have to repair/replace your car at a faster rate. I put on 50,000 miles each year, so I'll never get 10 years out of a car. Even your insurance rate is determined by the number of miles you drive AND the chances of having an accident go up with every mile your drive.

Mine may be an extreme case, but if you can live near your work and rent a cheap practice space you might save a ton of time and money.

Or get a self-driving car so you can practice DURING your commute ;-)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
As someone who commutes at least an hour each way (so that my family can live on 14 acres of country paradise), I'd advise you to take into account the cost of commuting. Your life will shorten by each hour you spend commuting, you'll pay through the nose for gas and you'll have to repair/replace your car at a faster rate. I put on 50,000 miles each year, so I'll never get 10 years out of a car. Even your insurance rate is determined by the number of miles you drive AND the chances of having an accident go up with every mile your drive.

Mine may be an extreme case, but if you can live near your work and rent a cheap practice space you might save a ton of time and money.

Or get a self-driving car so you can practice DURING your commute ;-)
Wow, we are a lot alike!

I have anywhere from a 45 min to 1 hour commute each way as well. If I lived in the same town where I work, my wife and three kids, I'd be lucky to buy a double-wide mobile home and just enough land to set it on. Nothing wrong with a double-wide at all. With that said, by commuting each day, I'm able to afford a 3,000-square foot home (with another 1,000 square feet of unfinished basement) on 4-5 acres. It's a great house, and I'm happy to have it. The commute can be a killer, and you definitely have to pay for gas and those God-forsaken tires. Because I go up and down a mountain every day, I burn a lot of fuel going up and I burn a lot of brakes coming down. Most of the time, I don't mind. But some days, it's such a freakin' grind. I'd love to have those 10 hours a week that I spend on the road, but I'm doing what I gotta do for my family.

PlayTheSong

Wow, we are a lot alike!

I'd love to have those 10 hours a week that I spend on the road, but I'm doing what I gotta do for my family.
Hey, surprisingly similar! I don't really mind though, for the following reasons:

1) I actually like driving, and most of my commute is countryside.
2) My son and I share the ride (he's at college in town).
3) I have a blackberry from work with unlimited data, so we Bluetooth to the car radio, select a free audiobook off Youtube and commute with Jack Reacher, Roland Deschain or whoever we can agree on.

Brian

Gold Member
I solved this by buying a rehearsal space in the city 250sq/300/mo and living a bit less expensively outside of the city. Works well for me but everyone's different. When I am lazy and dont want to go anywhere, I've got Roland td12 in my living room. I also commute 110mi. a day which is brutal.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Hey, surprisingly similar! I don't really mind though, for the following reasons:

1) I actually like driving, and most of my commute is countryside.
2) My son and I share the ride (he's at college in town).
3) I have a blackberry from work with unlimited data, so we Bluetooth to the car radio, select a free audiobook off Youtube and commute with Jack Reacher, Roland Deschain or whoever we can agree on.
I work at a college, so I'm hoping that one day, my kids can ride with me to and from work. I always enjoy their company.

tcspears

Gold Member
3) I have a blackberry from work...
They still make those?!?! :)

* I say this as someone who still has some stock in BB for when they make their comeback! Which actually they've been doing pretty well, they are just trying to get out of the phone business and move to software...

PlayTheSong

I work at a college, so I'm hoping that one day, my kids can ride with me to and from work. I always enjoy their company.
It's a great way to get to know your kids better!. I only wish I could rotate them on a monthly basis and get that time with each of them. Although we have the audiobooks to fall back on, sometimes we just turn if off and talk for the duration.

PlayTheSong

They still make those?!?! :)

* I say this as someone who still has some stock in BB QUOTE]

Like so many companies, they were first to the market with a revolutionary idea but were eventually overtaken by competitors. I'd be happy to see them reclaim some of the market share, but I'm not holding my breath. Kinda curious though, to see what my department issues next time around.