Comedy moment: Cymbal stand fail !

Mark_S

Silver Member
While playing at a festival in Slovakia, one of the cymbal stands I was using decided it'd had enough :-

http://youtu.be/_-2GiFf7bE8

I couldn't work out why at the time; I was more worried about my nice cymbal hitting the floor from that high up! On closer inspection of the video it looks like the base of the cymbal stand wasn't done up properly, so the stand slowly closed during the gig. It made it for an hour right up until the last song!

Always check your cymbal stands..

Generally the gig went really well, my first time playing drums abroad!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Hahaha, great stuff! Looks like a cool gig too :)

Risers bring about problems of their own, especially the modular ones, because they tend not to have an edging. If the riser is a bit on the small side, placement of stands can be a precarious exercise. I find the rack on my gigging kit helps in such applications. It could have been worse though, it could have been your throne!!!

BTW, nice crisp playing there :)

Mark_S

Silver Member
Hahaha, great stuff! Looks like a cool gig too :)

Risers bring about problems of their own, especially the modular ones, because they tend not to have an edging. If the riser is a bit on the small side, placement of stands can be a precarious exercise. I find the rack on my gigging kit helps in such applications. It could have been worse though, it could have been your throne!!!

BTW, nice crisp playing there :)

Yes the drum throne being right on the edge was a bit disconcerting! I kept looking between songs to see if I'd edged back at all as going home with a broken neck was not on the adjenda.

It was a great trip all in all - great weather, great town, very nice people, lovely food, great coffee and nice beer! A brilliant 4 days. The poor bass player though managed to dislocate his arm and went home in a sling! Boy was he in pain. It happened while swimming on the last day (day after the gig); it's happened twice before too so looks like he might need an op.

Haha, nicely handled!
Thanks! It was fortunate that it happened in a transitional part of the song so the momentary silence doesn't seem too out of place...

Last edited:

drummerman42

I had a similar experience, when I was playing a blues gig in Chicago. When to give my 18" crash and whack and there goes the cymbal tilter. Bass player looks at me at the end of the song and says, "What the hell is that things problem?" I replied, "I guess it doesn't feel like working tonight!"