combining drumming and visual arts

RvaDrums

Michaelocalypse

I'm not into it, but I have seen it (or something similar) down in Miami, and I think up in West Palm once too. I fully admit that I don't understand it, but it can be very entertaining. I guess I just need to have the creator(s) explain what it is they're expressing. Only half my brain is artistic, the other half is a boring engineer so I don't always connect the dots with this stuff.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
RvaDrums:

I like some of what you are doing here. Pretty cool.
However, you have to be careful to keep the visual from interfering with the music.

For instance in my opinion any movement by the video on your face or body can distract the viewer from the music. But I think some visual pictures around the drums and wall behind you can enhance the music.
It might be cool to have something visual happening only on the bass drum head.

Here is a nightmare experience for you. I was playing at a club and there was a video screen behind me. At the beginning of our performance the bar tender turned on the TV feed for an extreme boxing match. So for our entire set there was a boxing match going on behind me.

When I watched the video later on I realized that our whole show was ruined. I suppose some people enjoyed the music but I don’t see how they could focus on the band.
Here is a shot from the video.

groove1

Silver Member
In the early to mid 70's we did a lot of multi media projects....dancers breaking light beams that controlled audio, multiple slide projectors, someone reciting poetry to the music etc.
I thought it was really great most of the time but it kind of fizzled out for us as people got married, or went after non music careers etc. The logistics was something else too. I wish
more multi media stuff was going on today.

toddmc

Gold Member
RvaDrums:

I like some of what you are doing here. Pretty cool.
However, you have to be careful to keep the visual from interfering with the music.

For instance in my opinion any movement by the video on your face or body can distract the viewer from the music. But I think some visual pictures around the drums and wall behind you can enhance the music.
It might be cool to have something visual happening only on the bass drum head.

Here is a nightmare experience for you. I was playing at a club and there was a video screen behind me. At the beginning of our performance the bar tender turned on the TV feed for an extreme boxing match. So for our entire set there was a boxing match going on behind me.

When I watched the video later on I realized that our whole show was ruined. I suppose some people enjoyed the music but I don’t see how they could focus on the band.
Here is a shot from the video.

Wow, that sucks- hopefully the projector light wasn't directly in your eyes!
BTW- first time I've heard of UFC being referred to as extreme boxing : )

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
I used to DJ in a small pub before I left Baltimore, on Friday and Sat nights, and when the music started the TV's were turned off. That is really disrespectful .

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Reference the late 60's,early 70's and the Joshua light show at the Fillmore East in NYC.It's all been done before,so there's nothing really new here,but your playing is excellent,and that's prehaps more important.

Steve B

RvaDrums

thanks for the replys!

I appreciate what was mentioned about performance visuals taking away from or distracting the music. also, the thought of making the visuals help convey the musical expression and song idea vs having more ambiguous or abstract stage props.

although it was fun making the video and messing with the projector and ipad app etc, getting back to just making music is always refreshing!

drum on...