College- What do i do!! :(

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm not really sure if i would receive another scholarship offer like the one currently standing. I might make the commute and live at home. I would basically be going to school for free, I think it might be the smartest choice. Maybe not the funnest but i'm bound to have some fun in college regardless of where I live haha! Any thoughts?
How far is far? That sounds like a really good idea especially if the schooling is already free. Get yourself a good car that's great on gas mileage and commute. Those of us in the SoCal area are used to commuting. I was driving 40 miles one-way when I attended UCLA years ago! And that was sitting in two hours of freeway traffic three days a week!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Well, I'd think a scholarship to University of Miami is too good to turn down.

When I was at PIT, many of my fellow students lived cheaply. You'd walk into an apartment, and there would be tents in the living room so that they could get 5-10 people in a 1-2 bedroom apartment. It's not ideal (and not what I did) but if you want it bad enough, you can make it work.

When I moved to LA to be a player, often my only meal of the day was a can of beans, with some tortillas and lettuce. On Saturdays, I'd splurge and get chicken tacos.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
www.fastweb.com

This is a site that has all kinds of grants and scholarships that you can apply for. Some are essay based, some are grades based, some are idea based, some are contest based. It is free to join and free to apply, and anything that is awarded does not have to be paid back.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I'm not really sure if i would receive another scholarship offer like the one currently standing. I might make the commute and live at home. I would basically be going to school for free, I think it might be the smartest choice. Maybe not the funnest but i'm bound to have some fun in college regardless of where I live haha! Any thoughts?
While I think it's good for most students to move away from home--if possible--to go to college, I think living at home and commuting is a much better alternative to unreasonable debt. I commuted my last three years of college and it was fine. The key thing about going to college in your case is you will begin networking with other music students in your program. There's no telling where these relationships will take you in your music career.

I would say commute and avoid debt. You still might pick up another scholarship or two along the way which would enable you to move on or near campus. Staying debt free will enable you to add on some new gear along the way.

dazzlez

I don't get it... you don't have to pay for the school???
If you're over 18 you should be able to support yourself without any help from anyone. Get a job, you don't even have to work full-time to get enough money for rent and food.
Give drum-lessons to beginners on the side as well...

mymarkers

Commuting is just a cleverly disguised part-time job. A penny saved truly is not different from a penny earned. Take the cost of room and board, subtract the cost of driving, and divide by the time spent on the road. That's your after tax hourly rate for commuting. Compare that to the net hourly rate you'd expect at a part-time job. With the assumptions I used, even a 200-mile round trip compares quite favorably to a part-time job. You'll have to run the numbers for yourself because you know your particulars. And this sort of financial planning exercise is something you'll have to do a lot if you want to scrape by with little to no debt.

That's not say you should or should not commute. But you ought to consider it as a job in itself.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
When I got out of the Army after three years I went back to college, was a Dad, and had a part time job. I wanted my degree so I put the fun on hold for a while. You have a delimna with where to live and money. Put the fun on hold.

ncc

Silver Member
I want to be quick to add here that a good college education is not just about job training and a credential. Education is to training what knowledge is to information.
Well put. You learn a lot more in college and become a more rounded person. Those classes in Literature, Psychology and Sociality can come in handy once you graduate.

It is very hard in this day and age to not have some type of bill when you graduate. That is the sad truth. There have been some very good suggestions here how to minimize that final bill: off campus housing with roommates; part time job (home depot seems great for working part time); giving lessons; tutoring; gig a few times a month; go home on the weekends (if you can). Another thing you can do is to look into working for the school in the tutoring labs, or in some other capacity. The financial aid dept can help you in that regard.

Best of luck with your education. Hope this is helpful.

MileHighDrummer

Congratulations on your phenomenal scholarship. Now go to school. Many of us attended, school, grad-school, post-grad... and worked 20-40 hours a week to pay our way as we went. It's not supposed to be easy BUT you already have the lions-share paid for. Many people I went to school with came from extremely poor families and found a way. Some had a meeting with all their relatives and got a bit of money from aunts, uncles, grand-parents... to help them achieve their goals.

Anyone from the above posts who said university is not important, are wrong. You learn many things in college that go way beyond the classroom subjects. It's your time to grow into an adult and learn to make decisions and take actions to help form your future. Start by figuring out how to pay for your room and board - and have a great time. Start now saving for next semester's fees.