Clarinet Experts(?) Help Me

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
So I just purchased a clarinet. It's a Vito Reso-Tone 3. The instrument is in fabulous shape visually. Serial #D11647. Numbers match top and bottom. Minimal scratches, no reed. The chrome is beautiful. It came with the case, it looks old (or retro). I paid $10, and a 40 minute drive. Anyone have any insight on this?

Attachments

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
According to the interwebs, that’s a great deal, as long as it’s in good shape. It’s a good starter instrument, worth $50-250 depending on condition.

johnwesley

Silver Member
It is one of the better made plastic clarinets for beginners. Made by Leblanc which is a high end Pro clarinet from France. A great buy for 10 bucks. Look at the pads for staining and tears. New ones all around could cost upwards of a hundred dollars. I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it. Having played clarinet for more than 50 years it's nothing I would purchase other than to clean up and flip, or turn into a nice lamp.

Attachments

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It's condition seems to be really good. It has a few minor scratches on it, nothing deep. All the buttons/keys/valves/I don't know what they're called all work, nothing sticks. They all have their pads(?), all of which are white. I have no specific plans for it, just saw it on Craigslist while looking for bass guitars. I figured $10, why not? Maybe I'll learn to play it, maybe I'll try to flip it and get a bass. I really don't know at this point. I will at least TRY to learn to play it. My past endeavors with wind instruments didn't go so well, I can't get past the vibrating lips. We shall see.

That's a cool lamp. I have a mic stand lamp that would look great next to it.

Any suggestions on reeds?

johnwesley

Silver Member
Any suggestions on reeds?
Well sir, I will say that clarinet is one of the hardest wind instruments to learn. That's because it has more keys to press than the others and multiple fingering applications. As for reeds. They're like drumsticks. Different sizes (thickness) or "strengths" as it's called. The strength of the reed depends on the mouthpiece and how open or closed it is. That is the distance between the reed and the "lay" of the mouthpiece. The greater the distance from mouthpiece to reed the softer the reed. Most classical styled mouthpieces are what's called "close" so a harder reed is used, whereas a Jazz mouthpiece is "open" and requires a softer reed. Generally, the mouthpiece that comes standard with a beginners clarinet is between the two mentioned above and is considered a "medium" opening and a medium strength reed is used. Here's a sort of simple guide:
soft reed: 1, 1.5, 2 strength
medium: 2.5, 3, 3.5 strength
hard reed: 4, 4.5, 5 strength
Anything bigger is considered a 2x4. Yeah as in Home Depot!!!
There's a lot more to reeds as well but for the beginner the above is all you need to know for now.
Good luck