Choosing your wedding band when you're in a wedding band!

Red Menace

Platinum Member
My wife and I are both musicians so we were very much against going paying a DJ what we could pay a whole band. We ended going with a band of local retirees that played Dixieland Jazz. We lucked out because their fee was very reasonable, really more of a hobby and a little extra money for them.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Dude, how do you make your ride make those hi-hat sounds?!?
Not my drumming thankfully! It's a midi track that we had to mime over, our singer basically recorded karaoke vocals and was autotuned.

I shot another promo vid Sunday just gone, same thing! I need to get a big paper bag to put over my head when I'm doing them!

It's the standard across the wedding band promos but to the unsuspecting punter they don't know any different.

mikyok

Platinum Member
My wife and I are both musicians so we were very much against going paying a DJ what we could pay a whole band. We ended going with a band of local retirees that played Dixieland Jazz. We lucked out because their fee was very reasonable, really more of a hobby and a little extra money for them.
We've gone for these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRxf...u0gzeMRsvtLiJH

We went over to Dublin to see them, great night. 7 piece soul band for the same price as a the 4 piece bands go for. Best part is they're a million miles away from what I do.

It's another thing ticked off the list! Put me in good books as well!

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I'm glad its sorted. Otherwise my band from Australia would love to do the show - all you'd have to pay is seven around-the-world airfares and some accommodation, etc...

I hope it all goes well.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think it's cheesy when the groom plays, JMO, doesn't really mean anything. It's the bride's big day, all focus on her. If you hire your band, I hope you get someone who can drum as good as you.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I'm glad its sorted. Otherwise my band from Australia would love to do the show - all you'd have to pay is seven around-the-world airfares and some accommodation, etc...

I hope it all goes well.
Would there be cricket involved????

Cymbalise

When I got married I decided that a) if we paid a band I'd spend the night wondering if it was the right one and critiquing the drummer and 2) its MY wedding, so if I can gig it why the hell not?

So I put together a three piece consisting of me, my dad (got to keep it in the family) on bass and his regular gigging companion on guitar and vocals and together we got a setlist of crowd favourites and just rocked out.

The crowd loved it because no-one expected me to change out of my suit mid-way through the evening and hop on the kit that was set up, and because I was able to tweak the setlist to those tunes that I knew the majority of the crowd (i.e. my and the wifes friends) knew and loved we had an instant winner.

Simply a spectacular night and considering everyines wedding day is one they never forget, this made mine extra memorable for me!

mikyok

Platinum Member
I think it's cheesy when the groom plays, JMO, doesn't really mean anything. It's the bride's big day, all focus on her. If you hire your band, I hope you get someone who can drum as good as you.
I'm totally with ya bud!

The guy who plays for the band we've booked looks pretty tasteful, holds the groove and leads the band well, which is all a drummer needs to do, plus he's got a nice old Premier with all original hardware. In fact I'm well envious because his band have a brass section and keys and mine doesn't!

I'm nowhere near good enough to have an ego never mind one big enough to compare other drummers to me, I count myself lucky to get paid to play!