Choosing the right drum stick

jerry

i have been using head hunters double bb for years , but i am ready for a change .i find it difficult to find the right weight .i play mostly lighter material but like to get kind of busy on the drums as well .any suggestions ?i quess trial and error.i do not whant to have to fight the stick either.i also have a lot of toms and getting around them quick is important not to have a stick thats to heavy.anyway feed back would be appriciated

W

wy yung

I think you answered your own question Just try a whole bunch. Lately I've been using Regal tip 5aX wood tip and have found them to be great. The tips hold up incredibly well. I have a pair I use to teach and I have used them day after day for weeks without any chip in the tip. The shaft looks a little worse for ware though. :)

J

jay norem

I'm still looking for the "magic" stick, the right stick. Maybe it doesn't exist. I decided that it's a lot easier to just settle for the closest thing you can find and stay with that. I can pick up Vic Firth 7A sticks anywhere, even at the little podunk music store in my neighborhood, so for awhile now that's what I've been playing.

jjmason777

I think Vic Firth sticks are the best. They are pitch paired too, something I was taught to do back in the days of picking out sticks from a cubby hole rack jammed with over 100 sticks of each size. And like Jay says, you can get 'em anywhere, especially if you just use a common size. My choice: 5B.

B

blink44

for the last two sticks i went for i got them just for the name, and to try them out.
i Got jojo mayers/ steve gadds. i didnt like both of them when i first got them a week into it they feel like they are the right sticks now. My stupid decision actually paid off haha.

Wavelength

Platinum Member
I played exclusively with Vic Firth 7As for years, but a few months ago I started to feel some strain when playing loudly or for extended periods of time. My new stick of choice is the Ayotte maple Jammer.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
I like the Vater Super Jazz; but also use the Vic Firth 85A. I got two dozen at GC at $1 each. Perfect Price!!

maddrummr

Platinum Member
My choice=Pro Mark Japanese Oak 5A

I just love the way they perform and their feel in my hand is perfect. Its really trial and error for sticks. Before that I sat in my local shop and tried out random pairs on my leg. If I didn't like the feel..I didn't buy em.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'm still looking for the "magic" stick, the right stick. Maybe it doesn't exist. I decided that it's a lot easier to just settle for the closest thing you can find and stay with that. I can pick up Vic Firth 7A sticks anywhere, even at the little podunk music store in my neighborhood, so for awhile now that's what I've been playing.
I go through through The Perfect Stick Hunt every couple of months once I've used a stick for a while and begin to nitpick the things I don't like about it. I think that's sound advice - find some comfort and just stay the course.

I'm also finding that Vic Firth is incredibly inconsistent with sticks. I don't like the feel of the "plain" finish sticks, they're too hard to hang onto if you play with a loose grip, so I go for the signatures which either have paint finishes or some sort of easy-grip finish. I've gone through the process of playing a signature stick for a few months...buying a new pair...and finding that it's changed altogether.

I'm on a few days now w/ a pair of Pro Mark Pro-Grip 5A and they're OK. I wish they were a bit heavier but what can ya do?

drumguyfromWI

my stick of choice: Pro-Mark 5A Oak Nylon Tip.

but they're kind of expensive (about $12 a pair) at my local music store so I don't get them all the time, I usually just get a pair or two for gigs. for just practicing, I usually get Goodwood 5A nylon tip sticks, they're actually Vater sticks that are rejects, so they aren't perfect, but they are dirt cheap. about $3 a pair. they aren't very consistent though, sometimes you can't tell that it's a rejected pair of sticks, but some don't match each other very good, some break almost immediately, some are warped, and some break their nylon tips easily. But I can get 3 pairs of them for less than the price of 1 pair of my favorite Pro-Marks.

Last edited: