Choosing A Drum Teacher

nocTurnal

I'm having trouble deciding. Pretty soon, by some time next month, I will be taking lessons again. I am trying to decide on whether to go back to my old drum teacher or this other instructor I found out about on the internet. I really like my old teacher, he is really good. Very good chemistry between us I thought. I know that you can get bad teachers too, so I did not take that for granted. However, since I'm starting anew I'm wondering if I should start off fresh?

There is this drum instructor who's played as a studio drummer with the likes of David Bowie, Natalie Imbruglia, Dave Navarro, etc. It's a bit hard not to consider him. But I know nothing about him as a teacher. I know he's been teaching for "over 15 years" as it says on his ad. It's a bit further to drive to him as well. But how could any drum student not be very intrigued by a teacher with those kind of credentials? Played on a David Bowie album... man. That's as good as it gets. What do you all think I should do? I also feel like if I go with the newer teacher, and it didn't work out, that it would be awkward telling my old teacher that I tried a new one. I'd feel a little guilty. I definitely want to go back to my old teacher, but I have this other part of me pulling me the other way.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Perhaps try the new guy to satisfy your curiosity. If it doesn't work out, go back to your original teacher and say nothing about your 'drum teaching affair'. There's no need to tell him, but even if you did I'm sure he wouldn't be offended that you wanted to try a different approach.

Dedworx

i reckon check out the new guy. i think its good have the chance to see what other teachers have to share. plus seeing someone new shouldn't have any negative effect on your current situation, afterall you're free to do whatever you like.

Malti

I'm currently taking lessons with a teacher that works out of a music store. I like him but am going to begin with another teacher in the next week or so who teaches out of his house. I think the lessons will be a little more relaxed. So, I will be working with two instructors. Don't know if that is an option for you or not but fortunately I have the time and resources to do it.