Cheapest way to mute my kit

Forbesguy634

Going back to school and need to mute kit, have little funds, any idea on chapest way? was thinking of buying a sheet or rubber or something and cuttin out the sizes???

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
Going back to school and need to mute kit, have little funds, any idea on chapest way? was thinking of buying a sheet or rubber or something and cuttin out the sizes???
That might work for the toms and snare, but you would need a bit of creativity to make it work on the bass and cymbals. The drum mute packages are fairly cheap and work well if you haven't seen them.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
well i have a soulution that will actually MAKE you money!!! wait for it......wait for it...... you could sell your drum heads, that way they'll make little to no noise!!!! haha jk anywho i know some people who have used dish towels over top of the drums to mute them so that would work great if you live with your parents......

Fett2oo5

Towels.

Yes towels, drape some towels over your toms and snare drum (the thicker the better!!). If you have a problem with them slowly falling off you can tape them to your drum or get a medium to large safetypin, and safetypin them to the tension rods.

We used towels in highschool drumline when we had the entire percussion section in theband hall and we had some people on snares, other people on quads, etc. etc. If we didn't mute everything we would have all gone deaf. So we took some thick "beach towels" and draped them over the drums, it worked really well.

it is a little tricky getting them to stay on drumset toms because of the angle, but if you put some of the towel over the tension rod, then get a safety pin and send it through the towel, under the tension rod, then through the towel it should work, you just need a good size safety pin.

Office binder clips will work as well, to clip the towel to the tension rods.....
"Staples" Binder Clips
but with these, there is the the possiblity they might rattle a little when you hit the drum, depends on the quality of the clip.