Cheap/free recording software

HCT

Hi, does anyone here know of any cheap or free decent recording software? I'm not looking at making full, high quality recordings with some homemade studio, just something to have a little bit of fun with.

Thanks for the help.

Fuo

Platinum Member
Audacity is completely free (and open source).

REAPER has a free mode, but I forgot the exact details (donation-ware?).

B

BigSteve

Hi, does anyone here know of any cheap or free decent recording software? I'm not looking at making full, high quality recordings with some homemade studio, just something to have a little bit of fun with.

Thanks for the help.
If you don't know anything about DAW software Audacity would be a good place to start. It's relatively simple audio recording/editing software.

Reaper is a great product for it's price...it can be used free. But you will need to spend some time to learn how to use it.

gseifers

I would go with Audacity if you are new to recording, and just want something free and pretty easy to use. After using that, and you want something more, I would upgrade for sure. Audacity does a good job for just laying down ideas, but as far as anything else, it is kinda spotty and tends to crash a lot.

timmdrum

Silver Member
How about if I get a multi-channel interface- what's free/cheap that can record multiple tracks simultaneously?

B

BigSteve

Audacity and Reaper will record multiple channels at once. I'm only suggesting Audacity as it is less complicated to use at first. Reaper is full on DAW software with many more features.

toddy

Platinum Member
reaper has a large forum community. you can find starter guides etc (as well as a free manual, complete with keyboard shortcuts). the software is always being updated with new features, although these have slowed down somewhat, possibly because they are moving towards releasing Reaper 4.
the forum community also create their own plugins to circumvent some of it's deficiencies (alternatives for beat detective, etc).

it's very well priced, i much prefer it to pro tools/cubase/logic. i run it on a macbook pro and my windows 7 x64 PC. my friend runs it on his XP clone and it is rock solid. no issues at all.

timmdrum

Silver Member
How many channels can be recorded simultaneously with Audacity and Reaper? (I.E. record a fully mic'd kit, 8-ish channels?) And Reaper's not free... how much? Different price tiers for different levels of functionality?

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
How many channels can be recorded simultaneously with Audacity and Reaper? (I.E. record a fully mic'd kit, 8-ish channels?) And Reaper's not free... how much? Different price tiers for different levels of functionality?
Reaper is only limited by the CPU power of the PC and the number of inputs on your interface. There is no limit in the software.

Reaper is $60 for anyone making less that $20k a year. Its $200 or $250 if you earn over $20k with it. That price gets you the current level of the software through the next major release. IN other words if you purchased your license @ v2.41, your license is good through v3.99 Those prices are currently discounted a bit because v4 release is very near.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/purchase.php

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Thanks! What about Audacity? The # of channels that can be recorded simultaneously, that is?
Audacity can handle sixteen at once. Which is usually more than enough unless you're running a live Orchestral recording.

Reaper is a really great bit of software. I'm hoping all the schools will start using it soon, it makes sense for them to!

timmdrum

Silver Member
Sweet, I already have Audacity but didn't know it had that capability. (I've only ever used it for recording from my sound card as a source, and for some minor editing, such as slowing down recordings that were converted from analog at too fast a speed.) So all I need is a multi-channel interface and I'm off & running, eh?

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Sweet, I already have Audacity but didn't know it had that capability. (I've only ever used it for recording from my sound card as a source, and for some minor editing, such as slowing down recordings that were converted from analog at too fast a speed.) So all I need is a multi-channel interface and I'm off & running, eh?
Providing you have the microphones and associated accessories, yes.

I often record in Audacity and edit in Logic. I like the simplicity of Audacity and the options available.